lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV chager fried, cart dead

The stock powerwise Q charger is tripping 110v breakers as soon as plugged in even if not hooked to cart. was on a surge protector & no known power problems in my barn. I ordered a DPI that should be here in 2 days.
I was a couple months behind on maintenance so cleaned and checked batteries (2.5 year old T-1275's). Found one post/bolt broken completely loose (been wiggling). Repaired post per forum instructions of tapping and using a 5/16 socket set screw. I was hoping cart would function after this repair but still getting yellow light for a split second, "fuel gage" shows full charge but backup alarm doesn't sound, no response from pedal and tow mode won't unlock brake. Tried pulling back on throttle pedal and I had all the cables unhooked to clean so I thought it may reboot but no luck.
I believe cart is a 2012 fleet, since purchase I've had a converter installed and upgraded from the Danaher to the Curtis 350 amp controller(took it to dealer to get freedom mode reset).
I'm half afraid to plug in new charger when it arrives. Any wisdom is welcome.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV chager fried, cart dead

Sounds like the voltage is still dropping? Check it with your voltmeter
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Check the blade fuses attached to the bottom side of the plastic cover over the controller that the run/tow switch is mounted on. They are hidden under plastic caps (attached to the cover with christmas tree fasteners through tabs) You'll have to release the latch to remove each fuseholder from its cap. These are seperate from the other set of plugs/sockets labelled #1/#2/#3/#4. The 10 Amp fuse is for the keyswitch input power and the 7.5 Amp fuse is for the motor brake (parking brake). If either fuse is blown, the cart will not operate.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Had to read instructions for my hong kong junkyard multimeter before testing. I used ohms setting and fuses tested good so I replaced both with new for good measure. Tested voltage at + & - on batts where they hook to controller and got 50.3v. Still same quick flash of yellow light and gage shows full charge, no backup alarm. Any other easy to follow advice? Many Tanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check for power from blue wire on charge port, I'm thinking the charger failure may have cooked the electronics inside the charge port. No power causes cart to think charger is plugged in.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK I checked the blue wire on plug and got 49.2v at disconnected coupling on harness side. Inside port itself had 48.5v on top, 50.2v on left, and 49.3v on right as sitting on seat. Didn't see anything burnt with receptacle unscrewed or anywhere else briefly looking things over. You think I should try a new port? And am I pushing my luck hooking up my new charger if it arrives tomorrow?

Last edited by SBIRD!; 09-07-2017 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: add another question
Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
ctbluml
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

SBIRD!, Keep us/ me posted. My cart was plugged in during bad storm, i think lightning took out my charger and cart. I'm having same issues as you are. Turn on cart full power but brake wont release and no back up horn. I took my cart to ezgo service where I live and have not received any information after a week. Thanks, Chad
ctbluml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update. cgtech was correct (of course). I had to find the procedure to test the receptacle and it was bad, blown fuse hidden under rubber coating on backside of port.
Tomorrow I'll do the Intrnstorm procedure to repair temporally until new port arrives. This can be found by searching for "liquid electrical tape" in show post.
I almost bought a replacement power wise QE off epay but went with a DPI form Carts Unlimited. Only bad thing was $50 to get it shipped and can be had on ebay for same price with free shipping, but buyer beware.
I'm so happy to have buggy back in service and not have to haul it 50 miles to the dealer. Thanks for the input guy's!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO