lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #51
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new motor need info!!

Hey guys. I'm gonna run this motor based off of this info I got from an engineer from the company that designed it. Check this out. It could help future members on here.

Scott,
Good afternoon. To be honest I don't know the precise difference between what a DCS and a PDS are since these are terms used for a E-Z-Go golf cart model, but this is what I can tell you for certain. We sell hundreds of golf cart style motors to a company called Nivel which is a larger corporation that I believe owns several smaller businesses such as Red Hawk, Luna Industries, and was the former Forepar company within the golf cart industry. Within their website for the AY4-4001 they list this description:

AMD 36-volt (2.25-hp@2565 rpm) stock motor that E-Z-GO installs on PDS cars at the factory. Uses magnet 9636 and speed sensor 6787. Replaces: 73445GO2, 73124GO1, DE2-4007. Also see 3267 & D1161. This motor can also be used on DCS cars without a speed sensor.

Their last sentence supports your usage within a 1996 DCS drive system and as the AY4-4001 doesn't ship with the magnet or sensor I don't know why this is mentioned since our motor isn't equipped with holes to mount a RPM sensor. Another item that I can tell you is that our AY4-4001 is DEFINITELY a separately-excited (or SEPEX for short) traction motor.. If you reference the photo that you supplied xxxxxxxx with the coils shown within the frame & field assembly these are DEFINITELY shunt coils used on a separately-excited motor. That is how I ruled out the series-wound type motor offering. The AY6-4002, AY8-4003, and AY9-4003A are all separately-excited motors that are the only four Production part numbers that our company has ever built with an AY-type performance. Between these 4 motors there are little difference, but one thing that is for sure is that they all have the AY-type electrical design which means that they will all run the same. So when you replaced the AY4-4001 with an AY9-4003A you effectively changed nothing from the motor perspective. If the cart had an All Trax controller in it while it drove with a AY4-4001 than the AY9-4003A should operate fine and without any difference form the original AY4-4001 performance. If you've changed the motor and the controller simultaneously than I understand your cause for concern, but since the All Trax brochure that I found on-line clearly lists that the All Trax DCX 400 is for a separately excited motor, and you've stated that yours is programmed for a DCS cart it appears that they programmed the controller with Field Map # 3 and didn't need a Alltrax Adapter ,which I assume would have something to do if a motor had a RPM sensor output, but since the AY4-4001 & AY9-4003A does NOT use a RPM sensor you should be good to go.

Another fact : The AY9-4003A or AY4-4001 motor is not a series-wound field motor and no standard AY-type motor built on our Production Floor ever has been a series-wound field design. The series-wound version used for this would be the A02-4012 or E-Z-Go part # 73445G01 for your reference. And if you were to spend several hundred dollars between a controller and a motor I would want you to proceed cautiously and ask perfect questions like you have before damaging either new component. I honestly have never used or programmed an All Trax controller before as our golf cart test units here have always had OE controllers that were Curtis Instruments, but since the All Trax brochure shows the wiring instructions I have faith that they have provided the proper instruction on how to duplicate what the E-Z-Go Textron factory does upon initial golf cart assembly. I want to thank you for not only protecting your purchase, but our motor by asking any questions. I would suggest that you also reach out to a local E-Z-Go Textron dealer that you can find on the internet based on your zip code to double check any wiring questions that you might have but I am fairly confident that they will support your set-up with the cart from what I am seeing in reference to the controller and its usage from the supplied brochure. Please feel free to ask any further questions, but as the standard E-Z-Go cart was originally launched with a 325 amp or 350 amp maximum so you shouldn't damage our motor with a 400 amp capacity since the DURATION of the current is what matters most and not just the maximum of the control.er If it is programmed properly the motor should not have any issues so if it was used on the 1st AY4-4001 motor the AY9-4003A ought to have just as long of a life as the original unit which most likely dated back in the late 1990's. I'll await any further items that you wish to discuss and thanks for your time.
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO