lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Intermittent Go/No Go Problem

For quite some time now I've been living with an intermittent problem with my EZ-GO PDS cart. I don't know the model year because the tag has been removed from the cart but I think it's a 2002-5. I installed an Alltrax package from Scotty B back in 2013. The set up works well when it works.

What happens is that frequently the power is significantly reduced or the cart won’t run at all. Sometimes the cart will stutter when depressing the pedal. When this first started, I would jiggle the adapter harness wiring or disconnect and reconnect the three plugs on the harness. Sometimes this worked but usually only after several tries. I talked to Scotty about this earlier this year and he said that the harness from the pedal box can be problematic. I tried replacing the Alltrax PDS adapter harness but that wasn't it. Scotty suggested removing the connector between the pedal box harness and the Alltrax adapter by hard-wiring the two together -- but this didn't make any difference either.

When talking to Scotty again this morning about the problem he said this is a high amperage supply problem. Here's a little video of the cart trying to get going... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrvLP2ZBEQ You can hear the cart stutter when pressing the pedal. Then I let the pedal up and tried again -- nothing. Couple more tries and suddenly it's running again. The problem seems to usually affect the FWD direction but does sometimes happen in REV. Sorry about the squeaky pedal -- need to oil that. Sometimes you can be putting along and the power suddenly drops or gets a lot better with no significant change in pedal position.

According to Scotty...
The cause may be a battery short.
A cable connection.
A motor brush.
or bad solenoid contacts.
Along with the Alltrax ordered in 2013, I also got a new solenoid and battery cables from Scotty. The batteries are only 2 years old.

Any suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated.
MauiHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittent Go/No Go Problem

Did a post here last night for advice on wiring for other reasons, But I also had the same problem you and others have with the slow to no/go problem , most all of the replys recommended the same check procedures.. and I was well on way to starting them . but having my wiring wrong was causing the problem
re-did my wiring to the advice of a response from here . and cart hasn't skipped a beat all day
seems to me it would run or not run with wiring mixed up , but it did what yours is doing
So , maybe a quick check of correct wiring should be added to check list
I'd ask here first with all the actual parts you have installed / instead of the manufactures info'
These guys know there Stuff
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since you have multiple symptoms, you may have multiple problems.

I see a DVM next to the F/R switch in the video. What does the pack voltage drop to when cart is stuttering?

The cart changing speed without pedal position changing could be motor brushes or it could be ITS issues (as well as some other things). If it is the original ITS sensor, the potting compound has most likely shrunk some and small cracks have formed (almost invisible to naked eye), allowing humidity to enter the device and an ITS sensor does all sorts of weird things when moisture gets to the electronics contained inside the ITS sensor. (ITS sensor schematic attached)

Considering Hawaii is a high humidity area, I'd replace both the ITS sensor and pedal switch. Then go looking for the problems that still exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Schematic.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I see a DVM next to the F/R switch in the video. What does the pack voltage drop to when cart is stuttering?

Considering Hawaii is a high humidity area, I'd replace both the ITS sensor and pedal switch. Then go looking for the problems that still exist.
The pack voltage while sitting this morning was 38V. Depressing the pedal, getting stutter, pack voltage drops to 35-35.5V approximately.

The humidity factor makes sense. Often seems that the problem is worse after a good rain.

I've started putting together an order for ITS, micro switch and, since I'm at it, a new pedal box harness.

I sure hope I don't have to mess with the brushes. I presume the motor would have to be pulled to replace the brushes.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The parts arrived yesterday and were installed this morning. No change -- problem is still there. So, we've eliminated the ITS, micro switch and pedal harness as causes.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I managed to remove the motor yesterday after trying for three days. What a PITA that is! I cleaned up the splines and will definitely be putting some anti-seize on there before reassembly. As always, thanks to the forum members for all the posts on the subject. Kroil was a big help once I got about an 1/8" gap between the diff and motor housing.

With the motor out, I pulled the armature from the motor housing still attached to the cap. After blowing out a load of graphite dust I inspected the brushes. All the wires are in good shape and the brushes are more than 3/4" long so still have some life left.

Three of the brushes moved easily but one seemed jammed. After some fiddling, that brush was freed. My question now is if that jammed brush could have caused the stuttering problem?

I've checked the wiring to the motor and they all look good. No rub through or other problems.

Any input from you smart folks is appreciated. Meanwhile, I will probably put the motor back in and see if the problem is still there. Either way, I'll update the posting. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

a sticking brush can do that...

some products that might be useful-deoxit for cleaning electrical connections and fluid film for the squeaky pedal...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the sticky brush doesn't fix it, could it be possible that the stuttering could be from a stripped hub intermittently slipping causing the stuttering? When it stutters, look at the castle nuts on the axle and see if they are turning when the wheel is not. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm pretty sure this is not a stripped hub issue. The motor would be whirring away but that's not happening.

I did reinstall the motor this morning. Cleaned up all the wire ends and terminals to insure good contact. Also did a continuity test on the A1/A2 F1/F2 motor wires. I tried to do an OHM test across the terminals while the motor was still out of the cart. I was unable to get a consistent reading -- the DVM readings were all over the place. I'm no expert on using a DVM so perhaps I was doing something wrong.

The stuttering isn't happening but there is still a problem. It didn't always stutter when depressing the pedal -- sometimes it wouldn't do anything and other times it would try to move but just didn't have enough umph to do it. The latter is what I have now. Not to say it won't return to stuttering again. After trying a few times, she suddenly lurched to life so I gave it a test run which seemed to go fairly well.

Right now, I've got it back on the charger to keep my batteries healthy. Later I'll see if how it's working. I suppose it's possible that it just needs to settle in but I rather doubt that.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart is still acting up today so as yet there has been no magical resolution from checking, cleaning and re-installation. No surprise there.

Since the motor sometimes works really well, I'm having trouble believing the brushes are bad. I figured it was a good idea to check around for other potential problems.

Key switch: continuity test indicates OK
F/R switch: SAA -- checks out OK

I put a jumper cable in place of the key switch and the problem is still happening. Pedal movement sometimes does nothing, sometimes tries to move the cart, sometimes moves the cart slowly and sometimes moves the cart like Speed Racer.

Then I was reviewing the wiring diagram for the cart and noticed that I'm missing the pre-charge resistor on the solenoid. The diode is there on the small terminals but no resistor on the large terminals.

Since this would cause arcing of the solenoid contacts, could this be causing or contributing to the problem. This is the MZJ200 solenoid from ScottyB. I don't remember installing it but it's likely that I did use a wrench to hold the backing nuts.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171018_105932757.jpg (87.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO