lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Series Motor on a DCS Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
rockfordpi, I just built a DCS cart last fall for my nephew.....It was my first DCS and had a few questions you had.....specifically about the motor posts and labeling.....I took the motor off and could easily see by the windings that it was a sepex motor and not a series motor.....

SO if you are not going to take the info from the two most informative guys on this forum, what you need to do for your piece of mind, is to remove the motor and see for yourself.
I have 100% faith in the experts here, don't doubt them one bit. However, all anyone knows for sure here is that I have a motor with terminals labeled A1, A2, S1, S2 and that is not enough data to make a certain decision, and that is in no way doubting their expertise. They are limited by the data I am able to give them and a decision is only as good as the underlying data on which it is based.

That said, I am 99% sure I do have a mislabeled motor. On the other hand, this cart has been "worked on". You never know when you follow some people, I have a non-operable RXV I bought and am working on that has 110 volt receptacles wired into the dash, still trying to figure out how, why, what, on that one.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #12
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess it's possible that something happened to the rear case and it was swapped with a series labeled end cap.

Best way would be to pull the motor and look at the size and style of the field windings.

Flat and thick - series S1,S2
Smaller and round - shunt (sepex) F1,F2
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

just so ya know....and you have been told by the experts, that EVERY DCS motor was labeled the way yours is.....the fact that YOU are 99% convinced....has nothing to do with the FACTS.

good luck......but as suggested, seeing as how you are not convinced as to what you have, you need to remove your motor to see for yourself.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #14
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
just so ya know....and you have been told by the experts, that EVERY DCS motor was labeled the way yours is.....the fact that YOU are 99% convinced....has nothing to do with the FACTS.

good luck......but as suggested, seeing as how you are not convinced as to what you have, you need to remove your motor to see for yourself.
Sorry, point me to the place, prior to your previous post, in this thread where an expert (or anyone) clearly states that EVERY DCS cart motor was mis-labeled. I have read other places that SOME were mislabeled. I don't know if that was 5% or 95%.

I am NOT doubting the experts as you seem to so badly want me to be doing, I just do not see where they have said what you say they said.

You are correct, captain obvious, my guesstimated 99% certainty has nothing to do with facts. The motor is what it is, and, as Lincoln said, "A thousand angels swearing otherwise will not change that".
Old 04-30-2018, 06:03 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Its OBVIOUS you are unwilling to do the work to verify what you have been told so that you can see with you own eyes what you have.......you are just wanting someone else to give you irrefutable proof so that you don't have to. SEEING is BELIEVING.

Good Luck in your carting endeavor.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can also ID the motor by measuring the resistance of the Stator or Field coil.

Just disconnect one of the cables from S1 or S2 and measure the resistance between the posts.

A Series motor will be virtually and a Sepex motor will be around 1.5Ω.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #17
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Look at controller area....

ALL (ez go) series controllers use a high amp F&R or reversing sol. assy.

sepex uses microswitch (pancake-F&R)or low power panel switch.

if controller is DCS controller then motor is DCS ie. sep-ex
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Its OBVIOUS you are unwilling to do the work to verify what you have been told so that you can see with you own eyes what you have.......you are just wanting someone else to give you irrefutable proof so that you don't have to. SEEING is BELIEVING.

Good Luck in your carting endeavor.
Nuke, I don't need to see with my own eyes, as I clearly said earlier, based on the expert comments, I am 99% sure it is sepex. You are debating with yourself an issue that is not in question.

Sergio, thanks for that info, I knew that was possible, just did not know what Ohm values to look for. I will definitely check it, but I have been pretty sure for a while now, that it was Sepex.

I am still surprised that they mass produced a motor with mislabeled terminals, 35 or so years ago, I worked a lot with industrial D/C motors and generators, and I never saw that happen before.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I am still surprised that they mass produced a motor with mislabeled terminals, 35 or so years ago, I worked a lot with industrial D/C motors and generators, and I never saw that happen before.
Welcome to the wonderful world of iffy nomenclatures, mislabeling and outright screw-ups.

Maybe somebody at ADC forgot to order new labels, or maybe EZGO spec'd it wrong. Or they didn't know the difference between Field and Stator windings since the terms tend to be used interchangeably.

I took me a while to get used to calling an electric golf cart's main contactor a solenoid and their transaxle a differential, but I survived.

Having a cart with unknown parts swapping history does raise some questions with no easy answers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the cart is working normally it could not have a series motor in a sepex system. Anybody with an extensive background in electrical motors & generators knows this, so the thread title and the answer questioning and the labeling disbelief are just short of silly and I think that is what Nuke is responding to.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO