lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Series Motor on a DCS Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If the cart is working normally it could not have a series motor in a sepex system. Anybody with an extensive background in electrical motors & generators knows this, so the thread title and the answer questioning and the labeling disbelief are just short of silly and I think that is what Nuke is responding to.
Agree 100%.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
If the cart is working normally it could not have a series motor in a sepex system. Anybody with an extensive background in electrical motors & generators knows this, so the thread title and the answer questioning and the labeling disbelief are just short of silly and I think that is what Nuke is responding to.
BINGO!! Thank You Scotty!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #23
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
I agree, if the cart were running, or I had ever seen this $100 cart run in this configuration, which I have not, it might be a silly question (though I may still have asked out of a general sense of curiosity).

I know a series motor will not run normally, if it all, with a sepex controller.
As I said above, I saw in more than one place, the term "1206-SX 'Series' Controller" and that along with terminal labeling was very confusing.

I do not claim extensive hands on knowledge of motors and generators, I made coils, delivered, cleaned parts, and swept floors in an Industrial motor shop 40 years ago when I was 15-18. I also ran the business only (non technical) side of it for 8 years (only out of necessity after my father passed away). It is from this perspective that I still express dis-belief that a manufacturer would produce a whole line of motors with mislabeled terminals.

Somehow my questions and seeking clarification to try, not just to learn something, but to understand, was interpreted as me questioning the experts. That was not at all my intent, my apologies if my question came across that way or seemed silly to some.

I greatly appreciate all those that provided substantive comments.
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
1. I agree, if the cart were running, or I had ever seen this $100 cart run in this configuration, which I have not, it might be a silly question (though I may still have asked out of a general sense of curiosity).

2. I know a series motor will not run normally, if it all, with a sepex controller.

3. As I said above, I saw in more than one place, the term "1206-SX 'Series' Controller" and that along with terminal labeling was very confusing.

4. I do not claim extensive hands on knowledge of motors and generators, I made coils, delivered, cleaned parts, and swept floors in an Industrial motor shop 40 years ago when I was 15-18. I also ran the business only (non technical) side of it for 8 years (only out of necessity after my father passed away). It is from this perspective that I still express dis-belief that a manufacturer would produce a whole line of motors with mislabeled terminals.

5. Somehow my questions and seeking clarification to try, not just to learn something, but to understand, was interpreted as me questioning the experts. That was not at all my intent, my apologies if my question came across that way or seemed silly to some.

I greatly appreciate all those that provided substantive comments.
1. The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

2. A series motor might take out a sepex controller. It is akin to putting a dead short across the sepex controller's field output.

3. Syntax issues. I tend to say 1206SX type controller, or 1206SX family of controllers and say Series drive to avoid confusion.

4. Having worked with electronic and electromechanical devices for 60 years, I believe most anything can happen. I also learn something quite often on this forum. For example I wasn't aware there was a NEMA standard for labeling SepEx motors.

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

2. A series motor might take out a sepex controller. It is akin to putting a dead short across the sepex controller's field output.

3. Syntax issues. I tend to say 1206SX type controller, or 1206SX family of controllers and say Series drive to avoid confusion.

4. Having worked with electronic and electromechanical devices for 60 years, I believe most anything can happen. I also learn something quite often on this forum. For example I wasn't aware there was a NEMA standard for labeling SepEx motors.

Yes, I eventually figured out I was reading 'series' in the wrong context. That and your number 2 above is why I initially asked.

Don't fret that NEMA standard, obviously a large maker of GC motors did not know that either.

Thanks Johnny for all your help and comments
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
Cart is confusing me. It is a 98 TXT.

It has a motor with terminals labeled S1 and S2, which suggests series

Cart has R/T switch on controller cover which suggests Sepex

Controller is 73144G03 which googles to 1206-SX Series controller

Two smaller wires coming from controller hooked to S1 and S2 which suggests both series and Sepex

Has Hockey Puck F/R switch which suggests DCS.

I am totally confused on this one,

Not that it really matters, but when i google 73144g03 I get dcs controller. Perhaps that’s what sent the op down the wrong path.

Being a guy who doesn’t know much about any of this, I totally appreciate this site, and especially the really knowledgeable guys that seem to solve most of the problems. I also can appreciate guys wanting to be absolutely sure about how they proceed. Sometimes, when you’re not familiar with something, answers that may be painfully clear to others, are not so obvious to those without the knowledge.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO