lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default DVM Failures

I put one of Scotty's DVMs in an EZGO PDS cart a while back at it failed. First it had wildly erratic readings from low 20's to actual voltage at any given time. I asked Scotty about it at the time and he suggested checking the wiring which I did. Not only did I have continuity but my my hand-held DVM read pack voltage at the meter connections. Eventually it failed completely so I got a new one.

The new one worked great for one day before failing completely just like the other. I thought it might be a voltage spike or due to lots of rain (cart lives outside). Scotty tells me they can handle up to 100V and they are totally waterproof.

I tested the failed DVMs on another cart and they are truly dead. Both carts have the same type of wire from the battery pack to the meter.

So I put it to the experts here... what could be killing my DVMs?

Last edited by MauiHoss; 04-30-2018 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Additional info
MauiHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: DVM Failures

Perhaps the cart solenoid does not have a clamping diode on it, and constant voltage spikes are hurting them.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Could be just bad DVMs. I too have got one from Scotty and it failed after 18 months. Same as yours, erratic readings then one day I go to ride the cart and notice the DVM reads 20something... I freak for second thinking I left something on and killed my batteries. Check it with my hand-held and the pack reads above 53V.

I ordered a new digital VM, same as the one Scotty provides and its still working almost a year now.

Maybe you got a couple of lemons.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I do get one failure in 500. There just are not that many lemons that one person can get 2 bad ones?
GCtech may be onto something.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO