lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Default Removed lighting harness, now cart won't run

1995 EzGO Medalist 36v Electric

I have a situation where I have removed the entire lighting system harness for troubleshooting, and now the cart won't run.

Brief history:
This past week I noticed all lights (headlights and taillights) were not working. I checked for obvious accidental disconnects, possible bad fuse, severed wires etc. I could not see anything obvious, so I removed the entire lighting harness from the cart with the hopes of diagnosing it separatly, but still use my cart sans lighting. Unfortunately, with the harness removed, the cart won't run, which I think is strange, but perhaps I'm confused. When I put the cart in reverse, the buzzer comes on, but much more quiet. I also do not hear any solenoid 'clicks' when pressing gas.

The initial problem was headlights and taillights not working, so here are the steps I took prior to the cart not working.
  • Removed key ignition switch / battery charge indicator and checked for disconnected wires
    --All seems ok
  • Took off the front headlamps and checked for disconnected wires
    --All seems ok
  • Checked the fuse panel for burned fuse
    --All seems ok
  • Checked horn
    --This worked
    --I would assume 12v power from green is coming to fuse panel is good considering
  • Disconnected all lighting harness wires from keyed/ignition switch such that only 2 solenoid wires remain from cart.
    --Cart still runs

I then removed entire lighting harness from cart, with the hopes of diagnosing separately. Considering in the previous step I mentioned I disconnected the wiring harness from the ignition switch, and the cart still ran, I assumed it was safe to remove the entire lighting system harness physically from cart. Here are the steps I took.
  • Disconnected tail lights
  • Disconnected horn
  • Disconnected brake lights from brake pedal
    --Only 1 of 2 wires was attached here and I'm pretty certain its always been this way.
  • Disconnected green wire from fuse panel
  • Disconnected blue/white from fuse panel
  • Disconnected red from fuse panel
  • Disconnected orange/white from fuse panel
  • Disconnected green wire from battery
  • Disconnected black wire from battery
  • Disconnected red wire from battery
  • Pulled entire harness from cart
  • Test cart forward
    -- No movement
    -- No solenoid 'click'
  • Test cart revese
    -- No movement
    -- No solenoid 'click'
    -- reverse buzzer works, but is much more quiet

Here is a pic of the 4-blade ignition w/ light switch. Notice how the blue/white wire is burned

Here is a pic of the fuse box. Notice how the blue/white wire is burned here too.
jreue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Removed lighting harness, not cart won't run

resolved.

Golf cart running:
There was a bad + battery connection on the same post I took the green wire from the lighting harness off of.

Lighting:
The fuse was bad. I did continuity tests on the entire system and all checked out. I went back to the cart and rechecked the fuse. It had busted way up in the housing, making it almost difficult to see without a magnifying glass.

All in all it was a good exercise as I now understand how the entire harness works.
jreue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Removed lighting harness, now cart won't run

CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO