lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Drilling out broken battery terminal problems

Hey, just checking for advice. The post broke off of the last positive terminal of my set of Trojan batteries.

For one, I am pretty certain the nut was tight so I am concerned why this would have been running hot. If all connections were tight, would there be any reason the last terminal would get hot (the one that connects to the controller) as opposed to any of the other batteries in the pack?

And the other, more apparent problem, is that I drilled out a hole to tap a new stud into. I apparently went a touch too deep and a touch off to the side. I got a big spark while drilling at about 5/8" deep. Upon inspecting the hole I drilled, I could see a tiny pinhole off to the side that I was off centered to. I am guessing that battery acid leaked in through that hole and thats what caused the spark. Any idea on why it sparked and if my theory is right?

If it was battery acid that seeped into that pinhole, would it be sufficient to put a dab of silicone, a flat rubber piece the size of the hole, and then tighten the stud down to compress the silicone? I have already done that, just checking to see your opinion if that was gonna last or create further problems. Any advice is appreciated. Of course, I understand that getting a new battery would make the most sense. Really curious how unstable this battery is now, especially since I have to take it out of the cart and it is wedged in.

Thanks
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Re: Drilling out broken battery terminal problems

Update - it looks like a spiral of the lead I was drilling crawled up the drill bit and fell over to the negative post of the next battery. I believe that is why it still shorted out. I wish I could reinspect the hole I drilled and see there that tiny pinhole does actually exist or if it was a black speck that I was imagining. Still, any input is appreciated. Thanks
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The battery post is a steel post set into a lead base on the battery. If you overtighten the nuts you will wind up enlarging the base and causing a loose connection. The way to check this would be to try and wiggle the connections side to side to check for any play once you tightened them down. The way to avoid this is to always use a torque wrench set to 100-110 in/lbs when tightening.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The post is one charge. If you did somehow still too deep, it would be into the same charge of the battery well. I don’t see how that could create a spark.
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO