lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
G. Zod
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed upgrade options for '84 Club Car

Hi all - I am new to the forum having just purchased a used '84 club car ds. It has brand new 36v batteries, and a nice lift with ~22" tires, but otherwise pretty much stock.

We drive it on the local green belt which is basically a golf course type setup. Looking to get a bit more speed without sacrificing torque.

I've done some research and gone over the mechanics closely. It's a series setup with resistors and solenoids. Would love to replace this and upgrade to a solid state controller.

The motor is an old 16t spine, so my question is: what's the best upgrade route for this? Should I have it rebuilt or order a custom build? Who are some good custom motor shops? I also found a D&D motor which would work. Anyone used them?

Or is it better bang for buck to upgrade the controller first?

Many thanks in advance for the help. Apologies for all the newbie questions!

Loren
G. Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
G. Zod
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Speed upgrade options for '84 Club Car

Actually, pretty sure this car has a 10 tooth spline. Checked the motor last night and it is model 5bc48jb764.
G. Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Speed upgrade options for '84 Club Car

'81 and later are 10 spline IIRC.

For an upgrade in speed and torque you'll have to convert to 48 volts. I would also ditch the resistors and go with a solid state conversion also for better throttle response and no risk burning up your vglide if putting around at lower speeds where the amp draw would be higher.

If your 6 volt batteries are fairly new, adding 2 more shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the 20hr ah ratings match.

Look here for solid state conversions www.cartsunlimited.net or www.revolutiongolfcars.com
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car