lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Any issue hooking the key switch directly to the Solinoid?

Quote:
not an engineer, but I can only assume that the solenoid and it's open\close contacts are made for a reason
The correct name for the solenoid should be the safety contactor. When all condition for the cart to move safely are met the controller will close the contactor. When any of the conditions are not met the contactor will not close and the cart won't move. When the solenoid closes and it isn't supposed to the controller will go into a limp mode. (at least on a Precedent)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Again.....not an engineer, but I can only assume that the solenoid and it's open\close contacts are made for a reason. If it were not necessary to have a solenoid, then just wire it direct.
The way I understand it you could do that but your key switch would look something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191126_220604137.jpg (256.8 KB, 0 views)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
Nickelpede
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Only issue I can see is if the Reversing Contactor is getting power sent to it all the time, it may eventually arc and burn the contacts in the RC. When the solenoid opens there is no power at the contacts in the RC. If the solenoid is always closed, then the RC is switching contacts while there is power applied on the contacts. It might take a while to cause any harm, or it might make no difference at all, but that's the only issue I can see other than what ScottyB said, don't forget to turn the key off.
I believe your right. I think the micro switch is an interlock to make sure the circuit is de-energized while changing the position of the FNR switch. But that's just my 5 cents.

Nickelpede
Nickelpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #14
Dlab
Gone Wild

Update on this after reading some of y’all banter on the subject......It has been absolutely flawless and less stress on the solinoid, and less noise in the woods. Before it would click the solinoid on and off constantly if you let off the pedal completely. I can now put it in F or R then turn the key and only get the solinoid click. The solinoid is only activated once now, as opposed to 15-20 times a trip as it would click on and off every time the pedal was completely released then compressed.

I do agree however that if the key is left ON problems will occur, and would not recommend this for a family cart. My wife and kid drive it during the summer and I will install the new micro switch after hunting season so one of them don’t burn it up leaving the key on.

But for me, Ive been accustomed to turning the key off every time I park it, and it’s so much more quieter while in the woods setup this way. I like it like this, but as previously mentioned, if your not accustomed to turning the key off, there will be problems.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car