lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
OxlandYamaha
Not Yet Wild

Default Some electrical questions

I'm working on a clubcar (prefix PH from 2004) that has some disconnected wires under the seat. What is the use of the blue wire on the positive terminal and the lose black wire on the negative terminal.

Also where is the battery gauge connected on? It always shows the cart is 100% full.

Also when I discharge the car, it is still able to drive.

Is a club car charger suposse to go on and off during its charge cycle?

I hope yall can answer my questions.

Pics below

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met
OxlandYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
OxlandYamaha
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Some electrical questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxlandYamaha View Post
I'm working on a clubcar (prefix PH from 2004) that has some disconnected wires under the seat. What is the use of the blue wire on the positive terminal and the lose black wire on the negative terminal.

Also where is the battery gauge connected on? It always shows the cart is 100% full.

Pictures

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

What kind of volt meter do you have?

I have one bar meter that has a negative and a positive plus a wire for key switch to turn on and off with key. When I turn the run/tow switch it resets the meter to full no matter the battery charge level.

The blue connector is for a positive 48 volt connection if you the yellow for the negative. You could use those connections to hook your meter but it will stay on all the time, no big current draw. As the batteries loose charge the meter would go down if hooked to those wires.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #4
OxlandYamaha
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
What kind of volt meter do you have?

I have one bar meter that has a negative and a positive plus a wire for key switch to turn on and off with key. When I turn the run/tow switch it resets the meter to full no matter the battery charge level.

The blue connector is for a positive 48 volt connection if you the yellow for the negative. You could use those connections to hook your meter but it will stay on all the time, no big current draw. As the batteries loose charge the meter would go down if hooked to those wires.
I see a made a mistake on my original question. The black wire does not go to the negative terminal but it goes into the wire harness. The car got this battery gauge:

The car came to me with the problem that it was driving verry slow. (0.3 mph kind of slow). I charged the batteries and problem solved. Or atleast I hope that that was the issue. Cart says is full all the time. Will cause that owner does not charge the thing ever.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxlandYamaha View Post

Pics below

First of all, the connections; I have added to your diagram to show that the pigtail on the +ve terminal is just a convenient place to attach a +ve 48V connection (for example a reducer that converts 48V to 12V for accessories). The black wire with the yellow bullet connector is where you should connect a -ve 48V connection (e.g. the negative side of the reducer). It is important to connect to this rather than just connecting to the negative battery terminal because this wire goes through the OBC (On-Board Computer) and the OBC then knows how much power has been used so that it can run the charger sufficiently to put that power back. If you connected an accessory just to the -ve terminal on the battery the OBC would never put that power back as it controlled the charger and the batteries would get under-charged.

The charger should come on and normally show about a 17A draw for a few minutes, it then switches off for a moment and then comes back on. This is the OBC working out how much power it needs to put back into the batteries.

Good batteries will operate according to the attached table. If you haven't already got one, get a multimeter so that you can measure the voltages regularly. Note that the pack at rest should be no less than 48.41V (for a 48V system). Below this you will start to damage the batteries.

Those gauges are very innacurate and you should think about replacing it with a digital gauge. Scotty at Carts Unlimited or Dave at Revolution Golf Cars (both site sponsors) have good ones available. They are better that the cheap ones from eBay or Amazon.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC battery connections.jpg (195.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg State of Charge Table.jpg (84.9 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Yawood has given great advice.

If something causes the owner to "not charge ever" nothing will fix that.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
OxlandYamaha
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
First of all, the connections; I have added to your diagram to show that the pigtail on the +ve terminal is just a convenient place to attach a +ve 48V connection (for example a reducer that converts 48V to 12V for accessories). The black wire with the yellow bullet connector is where you should connect a -ve 48V connection (e.g. the negative side of the reducer). It is important to connect to this rather than just connecting to the negative battery terminal because this wire goes through the OBC (On-Board Computer) and the OBC then knows how much power has been used so that it can run the charger sufficiently to put that power back. If you connected an accessory just to the -ve terminal on the battery the OBC would never put that power back as it controlled the charger and the batteries would get under-charged.

The charger should come on and normally show about a 17A draw for a few minutes, it then switches off for a moment and then comes back on. This is the OBC working out how much power it needs to put back into the batteries.

Good batteries will operate according to the attached table. If you haven't already got one, get a multimeter so that you can measure the voltages regularly. Note that the pack at rest should be no less than 48.41V (for a 48V system). Below this you will start to damage the batteries.

Those gauges are very innacurate and you should think about replacing it with a digital gauge. Scotty at Carts Unlimited or Dave at Revolution Golf Cars (both site sponsors) have good ones available. They are better that the cheap ones from eBay or Amazon.

Good luck.
I'm in Europe. All these suppliers will come with a ton of transport costs for just such a small device. I have to rely on club car dealers over here. Battery pack is still okay.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car