lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Any down side to using the 16v reducer (2batt) versus the 48v reducer?

I have some halogens improperly running off 18v installed before I got the cart. They have been like that since it was new in 04. Now I receive my led kit and want to reduce but want to do so economically. The smaller reducer is less money up front but, will it hurt the batteries to run off of only two of them?

Thanks,
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Any down side to using the 16v reducer (2batt) versus the 48v reducer?

Shorter useful life of 12v accessories on 16v ... but the lights sure burn bright while they last.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Any down side to using the 16v reducer (2batt) versus the 48v reducer?

Do it once and do it right, get the 48-12v reducer.

Anything less will cause an imbalance in the pack and will cost you more money in the long run.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question Re: Any down side to using the 16v reducer (2batt) versus the 48v reducer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Shorter useful life of 12v accessories on 12v ... but the lights sure burn bright while they last.
I’m talking about reducing 2 batteries (16v) versus all (48v) batteries to 12v. The lights shouldn’t be any brighter at 12v no matter the source, right?
Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Do it once and do it right, get the 48-12v reducer.

Anything less will cause an imbalance in the pack and will cost you more money in the long run.
You definitely got my question ! Any recommendations on best value for that route or should they all work equally? Large range in prices on that feature.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The range of quality is as wide as the price on these. Be sure to over size the reducer for the best results.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Scottyb sells one of the best reducers you can buy- a high amperage unit at a great price: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

if the only accessory you add is lights then no problem. led lights typically are good for 9-24 volts or higher. i run led head & tail lites off 2 batteries without an issue for 9 years. i rarely run the lights

if you plan on adding tunes get the reducer
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #9
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
if the only accessory you add is lights then no problem. led lights typically are good for 9-24 volts or higher. i run led head & tail lites off 2 batteries without an issue for 9 years. i rarely run the lights

if you plan on adding tunes get the reducer
Good to know. Not sure which kit you have but I have the Rhox light kit.

Probably getting the reducer first to prep for other accessories. I have a Grote led lamp I may use for a reverse lamp. I drive enough in the dark in the neighborhood. No radio expected but 12v charger plugs maybe.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Scottyb sells one of the best reducers you can buy- a high amperage unit at a great price: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
Thanks for the tip!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car