lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent Alignment Issues

I read the sticky on this but am still a little confused.

My cart needs about a 30-40 degree turn to the right in order for it to go straight. I see how to adjust the toe in or out and the camber adjustments as well, I am just having trouble understanding the process as it includes the steering wheel being off. What steps would you take if you were me? From the naked eye it looks like one wheel is cocked out more than the other.

The cart does have a lift and 22" tires.
TBH015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Default Re: Precedent Alignment Issues

saw no one posted on this, so I will make a very rookie try to explain the steps and why - I assume you haven't done an alignment yet, but it's very easy, mechanically speaking, just takes a little practice to get it right:

the first step in the sticky is to remove the steering wheel - this will help you not worry about dialing anything in while watching it - it's an important step

next step is to look at your box/rods, you will see threads - I take a pencil and count the exposed threads - if you're one or 2 off it's not a big deal. Either way, pick one side and either run it out or take it in so that the number of exposed threads on each side are approximately the same. Leave them loose so you can still adjust them - but you're done with this step.

next - take a tape measure and measure the tire on the most outward part center to center in the front and rear (you may need help with the rear, but I have tires with a center groove that the tape measure fits in nicely) - write the measurements down front and rear - try to get them as precise as you can. From the example in the sticky, if your front measurement is 35", you want the rear to be 35 1/8" - the rear measurement should be 1/8" wider.

now that you have your measurements, it's time to adjust the tie rods (plenty of youtube videos on how to do it) - you want to adjust them evenly, as in, take both sides in our out the same. On this step I like to mark a flat section of the rack with a marker or tape so I can count turns. Critical here - if you turn one side a full turn, do the same to the other. Turn in SMALL SMALL increments - these things are sensitive - a quarter turn in my experience goes a long way. Adjust, measure, adjust, measure, and when you're satisfied, leave it loose. There is advice/guidance to roll the cart forward a turn and a half and then recheck, but I've skipped this step and my cart has been fine.

Now, you're aligned - put the steering wheel back on loosely (factory wheels only go on one way) - is it crooked? No worries! What the sticky calls 'chase the wheel' is not simple to visualize because it seems counter intuitive to adjust the alignment towards the side the wheel is crooked on. You'd think if the wheel was cocked left, you'd adjust right. Nope.

Again, in VERY SMALL INCREMENTS, adjust the alignment to move the alignment of both wheels in the same direction as the cocked direction of the steering wheel. Quarter turns are your friend here. Measure when you're done to validate the 1/8" difference. When you think you have it, use the steering wheel and straighten the tires out. If your wheel is now aligned, you're done. If not, rinse and repeat the small adjustments until your wheels and steering wheel are straight.

Once you see it in action, it will make complete sense. I don't make videos, but I may take a stab at it this weekend and see how it comes out.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Ryan View Post
saw no one posted on this, so I will make a very rookie try to explain the steps and why - I assume you haven't done an alignment yet, but it's very easy, mechanically speaking, just takes a little practice to get it right:

the first step in the sticky is to remove the steering wheel - this will help you not worry about dialing anything in while watching it - it's an important step

next step is to look at your box/rods, you will see threads - I take a pencil and count the exposed threads - if you're one or 2 off it's not a big deal. Either way, pick one side and either run it out or take it in so that the number of exposed threads on each side are approximately the same. Leave them loose so you can still adjust them - but you're done with this step.

next - take a tape measure and measure the tire on the most outward part center to center in the front and rear (you may need help with the rear, but I have tires with a center groove that the tape measure fits in nicely) - write the measurements down front and rear - try to get them as precise as you can. From the example in the sticky, if your front measurement is 35", you want the rear to be 35 1/8" - the rear measurement should be 1/8" wider.

now that you have your measurements, it's time to adjust the tie rods (plenty of youtube videos on how to do it) - you want to adjust them evenly, as in, take both sides in our out the same. On this step I like to mark a flat section of the rack with a marker or tape so I can count turns. Critical here - if you turn one side a full turn, do the same to the other. Turn in SMALL SMALL increments - these things are sensitive - a quarter turn in my experience goes a long way. Adjust, measure, adjust, measure, and when you're satisfied, leave it loose. There is advice/guidance to roll the cart forward a turn and a half and then recheck, but I've skipped this step and my cart has been fine.

Now, you're aligned - put the steering wheel back on loosely (factory wheels only go on one way) - is it crooked? No worries! What the sticky calls 'chase the wheel' is not simple to visualize because it seems counter intuitive to adjust the alignment towards the side the wheel is crooked on. You'd think if the wheel was cocked left, you'd adjust right. Nope.

Again, in VERY SMALL INCREMENTS, adjust the alignment to move the alignment of both wheels in the same direction as the cocked direction of the steering wheel. Quarter turns are your friend here. Measure when you're done to validate the 1/8" difference. When you think you have it, use the steering wheel and straighten the tires out. If your wheel is now aligned, you're done. If not, rinse and repeat the small adjustments until your wheels and steering wheel are straight.

Once you see it in action, it will make complete sense. I don't make videos, but I may take a stab at it this weekend and see how it comes out.
Man, thank you so much for the reply. I have a few questions. The other day I evened up the threads on the steering box (without taking off the steering wheel) and it actually straightened up the steering wheel almost perfectly. I just left it at that. It looks alot better but am not sure the toe in is correct. Will check tonight.

Questions -
1. What is my goal in adjusting the tire rods. If the measurement on the toe in is already where it needs to be what am I looking to do by adjusting the rods?
2. Actually I think I only had one question. You did a great job explaining things. I really appreciate you and everyone else on this forum. It has helped me a ton and saved me alot of money!
TBH015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

The goal of adjusting the tie rods is to get your 1/8" difference in measurement center to center front to rear. If by your adjustments, you got it there and your steering wheel is centered, good job! You're done. I play a lot of golf with mine, so I check the alignment monthly, and since I've used this method, I've not had to make major adjustments.

Happy to help, this site is great and has saved me time and money as well, so I am glad to be able to give back!
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

In case there any unanswered questions look in this sticky link.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=52371
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car