lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

Default charger recognizes cart but doesnt charge

Hello, I have a 2001 DS regen 2 that I have converted to run on an IQ controller. I used a harness from an ebay supplier. I am running an alltrax xct300IQ controller. The cart is working well and is plenty fast enough, however it wont charge. I have installed 4ga cables with the negative run through the obc.

When I plug the charger in it clicks the way is should but the gauge doesn't move. The charger works fine on my other cart which is all stock except for the 4ga cables that I installed. Batteries are fine as they came out of the other cart also. I have tested the fuses and that is all working as designed at this time. I have also bypassed the obc on this cart by connecting from the charge port to the battery, charge at that time but I do not intend to do it that way.

During the harness conversion it was instructed to hook the red to hot, black to ground and the brown to the harness. so I have the other 3 wires just taped up separate. Is there a way to get the obc to reset without a separate line for tow switch as that was also removed by the conversion.

thanks for any help you can give.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: charger recognizes cart but doesnt charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
Hello, I have a 2001 DS regen 2 that I have converted to run on an IQ controller. I used a harness from an ebay supplier. .... Is there a way to get the obc to reset without a separate line for tow switch as that was also removed by the conversion. ....
I'm new to carts, but I haven't read anywhere about removing the Tow/Run switch.
It is an ON/OFF switch that disconnects power to the Key Switch/Solenoid, FNR switch, Throttle, MCOR, Reverse Buzzer & inputs to the Controller.
It is a safety switch to disconnect power when servicing any of the wiring.
If your new harness removed it I would add it back in.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You have to have the OBC operational for the original Powerdrive charger to work. With the OBC bypassed you can make the charger turn on, but it will never turn off on it's own, and it will not charge the pack properly to get a full charge.
Without the OBC working, you need a Smart charger.

It should be possible to get the OBC working.
You have 6 wires in the harness at the OBC.
You also have 2 10awg black wires, and the Grey wire. One of the Black wires, and the Grey wire comes from the Charge receptacle. The other black wire is shorter and needs to be connected to the B- terminal at the controller.

You have a 6 pin connector on the OBC, and a 6 pin connector in the IQ harness for the OBC. In your IQ harness these should have the same pin layouts, but two of the wires may not be needed.
OBC White: This is 48v IN from the Tow Run switch. You need to have 48v going to the OBC here. This should connect to the White wire in the IQ harness.
OBC Blue: On the original harness this was 48v OUT from the OBC to the solenoids. In the IQ harness this is lockout control to the controller. This should connect to the Light Blue or Blue in the IQ harness connector. This is for charge lockout to the controller, the Alltrax controller should also utilize this wire to provide lockout when the charger is plugged in.
OBC Red w/White stripe: This is 48v IN from the solenoid B+ side. This needs to have 48V constant applied for the OBC to function. This should connect to the Red wire in the IQ harness.

OBC Brown: Charge warning lamp on the Dash. You should also have a Brown w/White stripe wire in the IQ harness that goes to the charge lamp.
Green, and Yellow: These are not needed as far as I'm aware, and are used only as communication between the OBC and the original Regen2 controller. You should be able to leave these taped up.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

i hooked up the white wire and that got me to a point where when doing the reset the reverse buzzer goes off. I tried that a couple of times but it still isn't charging. I do not know if the obc was working before as I got this cart as a basket case and have been rebuilding it slowly with swap meet parts. at this point it would appear that the obc was bad and that is why it had the nonmatching parts with it(somebody elses diag). looks like a non obc charger for this cart.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just a simple observation and from personal experience. Make sure the red charge wire coming out of the charge receptacle is connected to pack +. I took my batteries out to work on some battery tray corrosion and when I put the batteries back in, I forgot to reconnect the charge wire. The PD charger would only click but not start the charge cycle.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car