lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Stiff Suspension

I have a 2018 Onward, factory lifted with what appears to be the same lift kit parts you have (or very, very similar anyway). I also have changed to lithium batteries, which caused a 317 lb. weight reduction. This is great, but also made a fairly stiff ride even stiffer.

I'd concur that your front shock is almost completely compressed at rest - that isn't normal. Mine has about 1.75" of travel at rest.

The other issue is that your wheels are large and your tires are super low profile. That combination is going to ride rougher than something with more sidewall I'm afraid. I'd run lowest PSI that is safe in your scenario.

But here is something that will help - a lot.

I just posted this over in another thread, but I removed the upper leaf spring from the pair in the front, and replaced that with a spacer bar of the same thickness (can be seen in the photo). This made a HUGE difference in my ride stiffness issue. Before removing the upper leaf, the front suspension just never moved. I ride almost exclusively on the street also, and like you also changed tires from howling AT tread tires to DOT beefy street type tires which are super quiet. Mine aren't as low profile as yours, but they are 14" wheels / 23" tires. I'd prefer 12" wheels, but I like the ones I have, and don't want to buy another set. I currently run 12.5 PSI in them, and with the front leaf modification the ride is far better than it was. The rear on mine has the same single leaf as you do - after those changes in the front, the rear seems like it was causing a lot less of the problem so I think I'm not changing anything back there (though a less stiff leaf would be better I'm sure - just don't know where to source one). If you go too spongy on the ride quality, handling (leaning in turns) will suffer, and isn't ideal on a cart that has been lifted. Mine didn't change much at all in that regard with the changes I made, but softening the rear also may take it too far and be somewhat less safe.

EDIT: Not sure why photos are rotated incorrectly, but you can see what's going on anyway...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...0&postcount=32

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...19&postcount=2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front suspension 1 leaf.jpg (169.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg shock front travel.jpg (111.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg onward wheel.jpg (169.5 KB, 0 views)
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Stiff Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evancarey1 View Post
I have the same lift on my 2013 Precedent except with a dual action rear spring where yours looks to be stock and pretty flat. Jakes 3.5 inch a-arm lift if I recall correctly and the kit adds an extra leaf spring to the front which does make it pretty stiff. I am considering removing that shorter leaf spring to soften the ride closer to factory on mine.
I think you're on the right track, see above.

All the non-lifted Precedents, Onwards and Tempos use a single front leaf AFAIK.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car