lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 CC Prec IQ Burning Smell

Are the rear wheels off the ground? Continuity on the A posts goes through the motor brushes and the armature of the motor which should be only a few ohms resistance ideally, but you can have a bad connection at the brushes and cause an erratic reading when testing resistance.
Try spinning the rear wheels (at least one) while testing and see if you get a reading.
If that doesn't change anything, then either the brushes are toast, or there is another internal problem, like the armature exploded, or brush assembly disintegrated. Usually one of those will result in also having continuity to the motor case, or continuity to the F terminals.

Someone else mentioned towing, I'm not sure I'm following correctly. Did you have to tow the cart at some point? If so, how far? And How fast was it towed?

No need for a separate 12v battery when you have 6 batteries in the cart. You can use two of them in series to make 16v for testing. Really even just using one 8V battery should usually be enough to get the motor to spin.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Use your car battery or 16v from the carts batteries...Sounds like the brushes are worn in the motor...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Are the rear wheels off the ground? Continuity on the A posts goes through the motor brushes and the armature of the motor which should be only a few ohms resistance ideally, but you can have a bad connection at the brushes and cause an erratic reading when testing resistance.
Try spinning the rear wheels (at least one) while testing and see if you get a reading.
If that doesn't change anything, then either the brushes are toast, or there is another internal problem, like the armature exploded, or brush assembly disintegrated. Usually one of those will result in also having continuity to the motor case, or continuity to the F terminals.

Someone else mentioned towing, I'm not sure I'm following correctly. Did you have to tow the cart at some point? If so, how far? And How fast was it towed?

No need for a separate 12v battery when you have 6 batteries in the cart. You can use two of them in series to make 16v for testing. Really even just using one 8V battery should usually be enough to get the motor to spin.
Cart was _not_ off the ground when I tested.

I just checked after raising the rear wheels off the ground and I get no tire/motor spinning. Also, the reading from F1 to F2 is still erratic while spinning one tire.

It was towed from my son's house, two doors away, to my house in a residential neighborhood. Speed? I don't know for sure but not very fast at all. A brisk walk would have kept up with the cart.

One last opinion, please. I've decided to go ahead and upgrade the cart from stock rather than trying to piece it back together. Revolutions has a motor/controller package for Alltrax XCT 500a controller, HD 400a solenoid, and FSIP High Torque motor ( no HP stated) and cables.
I am thinking of my present and future needs. Currently, I will use it on relatively flat surfaces but may start hunting again and I would encounter some hills and creeks. I think this package is what I would need but would love some opinions. I've read the installation instructions and other articles and I think it is doable for my skill level.

Lastly, my brand new batteries are unhooked at the moment. Is there any danger in hooking them back up and putting them on the charger since the cart will not run? I don't think there is but want to be sure. I sure don't want the charge level to drop too much since I can't use the cart to break them in properly.

I am very grateful for everyone's help!! Thank you for your kindness and patience.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #14
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I should have mentioned that my Precedent has a 6 inch lift kit, 22x11-10 tires and fold down back seat. Also, a 32 inch LED light bar mounted on the roof.
I now realize what a strain I've put on this stock cart. Except for the light bar, it was like this when I bought it.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #15
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

That upgrade will solve your problems and then some...
Old 07-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
That upgrade will solve your problems and then some...
Sure should! LOL. My only concern is if I should go with the Admiral, D&D or another motor brand. Lots of opinions out there.

I have closed the control panel up and put wires back on motor, for what that's worth. With the problems I'm having do you know of any reason I should not hook my charger to the chart?? I don't want my new batteries to be sitting over the next few weeks while I wait on parts to arrive. They are fully charged at present.

Thank you so much for all your help.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Connect all the cables and charge it up...No worries...Talk to Dave at Revolution..He'll steer you in the right direction as far as the motor..
Old 07-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Connect all the cables and charge it up...No worries...Talk to Dave at Revolution..He'll steer you in the right direction as far as the motor..
Thanks, again!! Will call David tomorrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car