lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
scmoose
Gone Wild

Default Bent rod on steering box assembly

Pretty sure the rod on the drivers side of the steering box assembly is bent. I've been chasing this alignment after installing an All sport 6" lift. I notice when turning the rod to adjust toe in, the rod has a sort of wobble to it. Could this be causing me to chase this alignment. Can I replace just the rod or do I have to replace the entire steering box assembly?
scmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Bent rod on steering box assembly

What cart?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
scmoose
Gone Wild

Yeah that would be important. CC Precedent, 2012.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:32 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Edit.
I just noticed you mention a lift kit, so maybe my advice below will be irrelevant. I dont know what original OEM components, your kit uses, but i have left the advice just in case.

If that rod is bent, and its the same as ours (2015) then it has had a bump on that front wheel. Yes you can buy just the rod, but i would also check that the steering arm on the spindle has not bent up, it should be perfectly level ie, 90 degrees to the ground. same as the other side of the cart. you bend these back with a bit of heat and a large adjustable wrench. Better than paying big bucks for a new spindle assembly. Also check the bracket on the top of the spindle that the shock bolts in to. These get bent around the hole that goes over the king pin under the nut. take it off and sit it on a flat surface and look for distortion. Again, you can beat it back flat with a bit of heat, but i always replace them now after front end crashes. I see it all the time on our golf fleet. The only other part to check is the A Arm itself. Any distortion or bend on these will throw out the geometry quite badly. You can straighten them, but best to replace in the long run. You likely have a combination of several of these issues, you just need to see which ones and deal with them. The steering/tracking arm is the least likely to be the main culprit. I dont usually change these unless severely bent, not just a slight wobble while rotating them.

If you compare the components against the other side of the cart, you may be able to tell which parts are damaged.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:16 AM   #5
scmoose
Gone Wild

Everything was replaced with the lift except for the steering box assembly, and I can see on side is bent when I turn the rod.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:47 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

.Ok. I assume that you have the fully adjustable lift kit then. You may be able to straighten the rod if not bent too much, but they are as i said before, replaceable. In the UK, they are not cheap at all, so i only replace if severely bent. If you go through my list of possible causes with the OEM setup, it may steer you in the right direction as to what to look for. I have never looked at that lift kit, but those i saw being advertised, look to be fairly adjustable for camber, and setting the camber will alter the track. I think maybe you need to look at the camber first to make sure it is correct, and then start looking at the alignment after that. There are several videos on youtube that show how to do this if you have not already. Here is one i found that seems straightforward to follow. The camber setting starts at around 14:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhINaBcJUms

I dont know if this is actually the kit you have but is should help.

I have seen some comments saying that the instructions supplied with the kit does not explain how to set the kit up properly. I am sure someone who has fitted the same kit as you will be along shortly.

Time to Edit my post again.

I have just looked at a previous post you made and now realise that i am not answering your actual question as you have said you have done the camber and tracking, but are now having to chase the wheel. So, yes, the slightly bent steering rod may be causing you to have to chase the wheel. so it may be worth replacing it. Usually on OEM set ups, it is caused by other things as i stated previously. But if your lift kit is all aligned correctly then the only thing left i would assume to be the rod you describe.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No affect on the alignment. You can replace it if you like, but it’s not going to solve any other issues. If it was stock suspension then the spindle would probably be badly bent and would need to be replaced. With a lift kit all the parts that make a difference on alignment have been replaced.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
scmoose
Gone Wild

Well hell that sucks. Every time I get the camber right I have to adjust the toe, get the toe right then have to redo camber. Drive it around and start all over, not to mention steering wheel pointing slightly left of center.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Steering wheel position is easy, but that's the dead last step.
Camber is a pain, but yes, every time you make a change to camber, it affects the Toe angle. Changing toe angle Does NOT affect camber. IF camber is changing afer you set the toe angle, it is because something is loose (bolts, bushings, wheel bearing, etc) or you made the wrong adjustment or it was not set properly to start with.

Camber is easiest to adjust with the wheel On ground pointing as straight forward as possible. Totally Disregard the other wheel, or the steering wheel or any toe angle during camber adjustment, those adjustments will be corrected after camber is set on both sides. Just get ONE side adjusted how you want it, then go do the other side the same way. When you get done setting the camber, make sure the camber adjusting nuts are Tight.

After camber is set on both wheels, make sure the steering rack is near the center of its travel, then Set the Toe angle by adjusting the tie rods to somewhere near the center of their threaded section. Try to make both ends as equal as possible to start. Measure the toe across the back and front, make 1/2 turn adjustments to Each side until you are close to the correct toe angle. Once you are close make 1/8th turn adjustments to Each side (be sure to do both so you retain similar threaded distance on each side).

Snug the lock nuts, put the cart on the ground if it was not already. Having the cart off the ground can make a difference in the toe measurement, so once you get it get close, all further adjustments should be done with wheels on the ground. Roll the cart backwards and then forward about ten feet. Re-check toe measurement, adjust equally on each side if necessary, then snug the lock nuts. Drive the cart a short distance (50 feet is more than enough) and then recheck toe. Make small adjustments if necessary.

Note which direction the steering wheel points if it is not centered. Adjust each tie rod Equal amounts 1/2 turn at a time In the direction the wheel is pointing until the steering wheel comes close to center. You may have to take the cart on several short drives to get the adjustment just right.

If the wheel is more than 45 degrees off center, then the steering rack was likely not centered properly to start with. You should have an equal number of turns from the dead center to each end stop.
Put a piece of tape at the top center of the wheel and count how many turns it is from center to each stop they should be the same or within 1/4 turn. If they are more than 1/4 turn different then the rack is not centered properly and you need to re-center it and reset the toe angle to center before going any further. If it's less than 1/4 turn different, then you can adjust that out by turning the tie rods in the direction that the wheel is pointing as above.
Once all adjustments are made tighten the lock nuts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car