lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Safe to get wet? Wash/leave out in rain, etc...

This seems like a lame question but being my first golf cart and since mine is now fitted with all new electronics not mounted the way the stock stuff was, how safe is it to get things wet? I see people at the campround washing them with a hose, leaving the outside uncovered during rain and everything in between. I know it's all under the body, but there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that the rear access cover is water tight.
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Safe to get wet? Wash/leave out in rain, etc...

mine lives outside
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just don’t aim the hose directly at the components and you should be good.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Mine has lived outside since I retired in 2018. Before then it lived under a gazebo that blowing rain would get to.
I keep the windshield flipped up when not riding to protect the radio.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I hate leaving one outside but they are pretty good at keeping the weather out. Not good on seats etc.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

I use a soap gun from a small pressure washer on mine occasionally and the only precaution I take is stuffing a plastic bag in the battery charger port and putting the cart in tow mode. I’ve played golf in heavy rain in mine as well and it’s been fine, just hell in the seats.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
This seems like a lame question but being my first golf cart and since mine is now fitted with all new electronics not mounted the way the stock stuff was, how safe is it to get things wet? I see people at the campround washing them with a hose, leaving the outside uncovered during rain and everything in between. I know it's all under the body, but there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that the rear access cover is water tight.
And now for the "Rest of the Story".

Getting the outside areas wet ... no problem. Driving through standing water may be another story.

Getting ANY of the electronics wet can lead to big problems and should be avoided when possible. Some of the newer electronics are "supposed to be weatherproof" but I would still use caution. There are lots of posts on BGW that talk about water entry problems into electronics - i.e. controllers, connections, Fwd Rev contactors, ignition switches, accelerator controls, etc, etc, etc.

In my case, I had a water entry issue from "very lightly" rinsing the dust off of my controller. This resulted in a Wide Open Thottle event that was both dangerous and potentially an expensive repair (I was able to dry the controller out and put it back into service).

Water and electronics do not mix well
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
And now for the "Rest of the Story".

Getting the outside areas wet ... no problem. Driving through standing water may be another story.

Getting ANY of the electronics wet can lead to big problems and should be avoided when possible. Some of the newer electronics are "supposed to be weatherproof" but I would still use caution. There are lots of posts on BGW that talk about water entry problems into electronics - i.e. controllers, connections, Fwd Rev contactors, ignition switches, accelerator controls, etc, etc, etc.

In my case, I had a water entry issue from "very lightly" rinsing the dust off of my controller. This resulted in a Wide Open Thottle event that was both dangerous and potentially an expensive repair (I was able to dry the controller out and put it back into service).

Water and electronics do not mix well
I agree with this. I had a WOT situation from a wet controller one time. Ruined the controller and thank God I had the rear jacked up.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks all. I called Alltrax tech support today about something else today but asked about the units ability to withstand water. He said if the electrical connections had sufficient dielectric grease on them, the Alltrax will run under water. I don't plan on trying it nor do I plan to power wash it. However our campground is very dusty and it would be nice to know I could wash it thoroughly without destroying anything. I may have to apply some sort of gasket around the rear access cover to prevent water from running under it's edge and directly onto the controller. I ordered a cover today to hopefully help shed some of the water.
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car