lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Anti seize on motor splines?

Any reason to add or not add anti seize? I've slipped on my new motor and did not put any on but am thinking of slipping it back off and adding some; good idea or bad?
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Cool Re: Anti seize on motor splines?

So what I use (being a Yamaha Dealer) is Yamalube Electric Motor Spline Grease every time I remove a motor for whatever reason..Never used anti-seize so I have no real opinion on it...But if you want the good stuff look it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamalube.jpg (32.4 KB, 0 views)
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Anti seize on motor splines?

Just make sure you apply very little lubricant and allow room in one groove for trapped air to escape or you can stress the armature bearing, see below:

I am not sure about the anti-seize being good for this application.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

HTH is a Honda and KTM guy supposed to use a Yamaha product??!! Because I see the Camaro name I might have to cut you some slack, but this is gonna be a reach :)
Old 08-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Any reason to add or not add anti seize? I've slipped on my new motor and did not put any on but am thinking of slipping it back off and adding some; good idea or bad?
I wouldn’t put a motor on without anti seize.........
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would have applied it to the entire shaft; THANK YOU for the info, Sergio!!!

Think I will do it for sure, and appreciate you "seconding the motion", Dlab!
Old 08-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
twilliams81
Gone Wild

ALWAYS use some sort of anti seize...I literally JUST had to destroy an armature to get it off a DS rear end because it was seized on there and now I've got to figure out about another motor
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I recently had a seized nut on a brand new motorcycle that I ultimately had to cut off. When I was researching my options before resorting to cutting it off, I checked in with the guys on the motorcycle page I am on and learned about anti seize; I had never used or even heard of it before then (and I have been wrenching on stuff for 40+ years).

I appreciate all of the input. I'll drop the motor and apply the anti seize before I go much farther on this cart.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I recently had a seized nut on a brand new motorcycle that I ultimately had to cut off. When I was researching my options before resorting to cutting it off, I checked in with the guys on the motorcycle page I am on and learned about anti seize; I had never used or even heard of it before then (and I have been wrenching on stuff for 40+ years).

I appreciate all of the input. I'll drop the motor and apply the anti seize before I go much farther on this cart.
Just be sure you avoid the man rule of "if a little is good, a lot is better." :) This is not true with anti-seize. It is always applied in a very thin layer.
I love this stuff but you have to use common sense about where you use it. For example, it's not recommended for use on wheel lug nuts.
Biggest thing to remember is that it decreases torque value by at least 20% so it's easy to over tighten something if you don't adjust the torque. This is one reason it's not recommended on spark plugs. You could easily end up breaking the plug.
Because it withstands high heat and won't "sling" off, I use it on brake shoes where they contact the backing plate. Also, on the arm of the star wheel adjusters where they insert into the cylinder, along with the normal recommended grease.
If there is one place I'd say anti-seize is critical it's on the tiny screws that hold the lid on a master cylinder on a ATV or motorcycle. You know, the ones that rust before your very eyes, are over-torqued, the heads are stripped and you spend hours with every reverse bit you own with no success and end up drilling them out only to realize you'll have to re-tap the threads. Buy new stainless screws, apply thin coat of anti-seize and you'll be a happy camper.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now I gotta go search "how to properly use anti seize"! The man rule philosophy is gonna be a bit harder to change.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car