lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Golf Cart Garage Review (not what you think!)

This goes back a ways, when I was young and foolish (okay-it wasn't that long ago so just foolish). Before I was wise enough to pay attention to the site sponsors I ordered some stuff from other vendors, Golf Cart Garage being one of them.

I ordered an awesome Lester Summit II charger which is advertised as compatible with Lithium batteries. The problem is that it is only compatible with a narrow range of Lithium batteries, and mine do not fall in that group. Due to this wonderful thing called COVID, the charger sat on my workbench for many months until I figured out that it would not work for me (I was waiting for other backordered parts so the charger was not even a thought). Once I realized that this charger would not work for me (this truth came from many smart folks on this page helping me) I requested to send it back for a refund from Golf Cart Garage.

Since I sat on it for so long, Golf Cart Garage will not refund my money (again, it states that it is compatible with Lithium, but does not say which Lithium. The tag line on their paperwork states "SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Get the right part, the first time or return shipping is free" and "If your order is anything less than perfect, please let us know right away. We want you to be 100% satisfied". It is not the right part for my application and I am not 100% satisfied).

I am now sitting on a $300+ charger that I cannot use, and Lester states that it is warranted only to the original buyer.

Moral of the story: do not make the same mistake that I made; use the site sponsors! When I last spoke to Golf Car Garage this morning to once again plead my case, they were rude and unwilling to take this in consideration. I made a few other mistakes on parts (and truthfully I ordered those from non site sponsors) and they accepted my returned items with no questions asked and gave a full refund. These items were my mistake, unlike the charger, and I was expecting to pay a restock fee, but these companies stepped up.

End of rant! My recommendation is to use the site sponsors whenever possible, as they will provide honest answers (I have seen this first hand since this issue). I also suggest avoiding Golf Cart Garage.

Thank you to those that read this all the way through. Just felt the need to post up my mistakes in an attempt to help others avoid the same.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Golf Cart Garage Review (not what you think!)

Those guys were a site sponsor here although I do not see them in the current "site sponsors" page.

That is a tough situation due to the extended time but I would place a lot of that blame on Lester Marketing with their vague claim of being a Lithium Charger without being more specific about chemistry and pack voltages supported.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

IDK, these are trying times for family ran businesses. If you can put in a lithium pack then I’m assuming you’re still working and not running a business. Count your blessings.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I checked the site sponsor list before writing my "review" and did not see them there either. I would have done this behind the scenes if they were a site sponsor :) And I agree that Lester needs to be clearer; GCG may be taking the brunt of my disappointment on account of this.

I am a sole owner/operator of one business (12 years now, and I guess you could consider that a family business), am a 1/3rd partner in another business (2 years old this month) and am an employee (13 years next February) of a third business. All three businesses are thriving and are booking new work in March of next year. I suspect that golf cart supply folks are also experiencing quite the boom currently (and I certainly hope that is the case).

I count my blessings every day, and am thankful for all three jobs
Old 10-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Well if you’re that set on it then put a Visa claim on it. You have three billing cycles. Owners of businesses know all about.

Don’t know why you would do anything behind the scene. Bad is bad, and should be talked about so less assertive members don’t fall prey.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

It took me more than 3 months to figure out that it won't work (I was waiting on a Spartan body and a few other things and was just amassing parts for when I had everything together and I could hunker down on this).

I'm more of a low key guy. I don't jump up and down; don't cuss and swear. You'll know when I am upset without all of that stuff, and in the end I may not win every time but I will inflict pain :) In this case it will be a personal vendetta to expose Golf Cart Garage so that others do not have to go through what I have (and as a business owner I have made many concessions for stupid mistakes. In the case of this charger, I suspect that they will resell it the day they were to get it back, as it is is a quality item and sells easily).

If even one BGW patron is steered away from GCG then I have made a dent!
Old 10-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I certainly do not mean to offend anybody but.
I'm sure Lester says compatible with some Lithium, not all. And since you are doing an experimental upgrade the onus is upon you to have done more research and avoid the mistake all together.
And I'm sure if you had discovered your (the) mistake within a reasonable amount of time the seller would have taken the charger back.

The good news is that this is a charger in pretty high demand for most cart owners and you could sell it here for a small loss and get a proper charger (BMS) as needed. Let me know if you do list it here. I will try to send you a buyer as we are a Lester dealer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

No offense taken on my part, Scotty!

The "funny" part is that I did ask the question to someone and was told "it says it works on Lithium"; perhaps I should have drilled down further........

I try to buy the best I can afford, and from my research the Lester was the one, so I waited until I could pull the trigger. Knowing it is a quality unit and would sell easily just confused me with GCG refusing to take it back-I could see if it was some "iffy" unit and would sit on the shelf.

Thank you for your reply, and offer, Scotty. I have the BMS units for my batteries but am on the hunt for the proper charger-if you have any ideas and don't mind PM'ing me I'd appreciate it (I need to chat with you about some other stuff I need anyway).
Old 10-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I guess I’m in the minority here but I think they should take it back as long as it’s not used which you said it isn’t. Companies should be flexible during these times given COVID. You made it known to their employee what your intended purpose was for this charger and they reiterated that it works on lithium. The charger is clearly not “fit for the intended/ particular purpose” it was sold to you for. You have a lithium cart and it will not work as advertised. At the minimum I think they should take it back with you paying the return shipping but even that is pushing it. If you’re going to sell a product in such a niche market I think you should know about the product. If they feel the manufacturer is unclear with their retailers they should ask for clarification.

Just think about it with another example. You go into a watch store and tell the salesman you want a watch to go diving with. He sells you a watch you take it diving and you find out it’s not waterproof. Does it really matter if you went diving the next day or 3 months later? It did not meet the requirements you made clear at time of purchase.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pretty much nailed it, golf cart man! As I told the guy that answered the phone today, "you're gonna throw away a customer for a product that you will sell as soon as you get it back by arguing over $350?". I would have gladly paid the freight back (I will admit to being partially at fault, so that is the least I can do).

Here's the bright side: If I can use my mistake to keep others away from this vendor and get them to visit the site sponsors, that is a win. I suspect that I will be instrumental in sending way more than $350 worth of work to the site sponsors here, money that may have gone to GCG. Like I said, I don't always win but you will know I am upset :)

At the end of the day I still have a brand new Lester Summit II sitting on my workbench, but I do feel better!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car