lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
M1redskin
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 Club Car DS - Tow/Run Switch Question / Schematic

Hello,
I unwired the above cart to install a performance motor. I did not know about the Tow/Run switch needing to be in TOW before disconnecting the battery cables.

I think my controller is fine, but how can a person know what position the switch is in. The switch is disconnected and removed the the cart back end (also removed) and by just looking at it there is no way of knowing now if it is in the run position or the tow position.

So when the switch is open, is it in Tow or Run? I assume Tow since in a closed position from a wiring diagram standpoint, it appears that is would need to be closed for Run, but I am not sure. I have not been able to find a schematic that would give me the open and closed positions to know which is which.

I would like to confirm this before connecting the cables. And if I am correct the switch needs to be in the TOW position before connecting the cables again. Thanks and please advise.
M1redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
kevinmoore73
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Club Car DS - Tow/Run Switch Question / Schematic

Check continuity with multimeter to determine switch status. Open = Tow, Closed = Run
kevinmoore73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1redskin View Post
... So when the switch is open, is it in Tow or Run? I assume Tow since in a closed position from a wiring diagram standpoint, it appears that is would need to be closed for Run, but I am not sure. ....
Yes, Run is closed.
The switch on our 2003 is a simple toggle switch that had a little plate under the mounting nut to indicate the Tow or Run position.
There is a switch available that is easier to work with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tow-Run switch.jpg (3.7 KB, 0 views)
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
M1redskin
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys - that is exactly what I needed. Ill see if I can get this thing going now.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
M1redskin
Not Yet Wild

Heh Guys, back again. To followup from before I purchased a higher performance motor and took the cart for a test drive. It has good speed now. However - this being a used cart and have not really had much run time on it so far, it is exhibiting some funky stuff. It seems to lose speed control command from the acceleartor pedal and will stop while driving it, or not go at first when hitting the pedal. I think the Mcor may be the issue but thought I would ask others opinion here. The Forward / Reverse switch may be the issue with not taking off at first. I noticed I have to make sure it is fully depressed in reverse or forward so this could be part of the problem with not taking off inititally at times. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1redskin View Post
.... It seems to lose speed control command from the acceleartor pedal and will stop while driving it, or not go at first when hitting the pedal. I think the Mcor may be the issue but thought I would ask others opinion here. The Forward / Reverse switch may be the issue with not taking off at first. I noticed I have to make sure it is fully depressed in reverse or forward so this could be part of the problem with not taking off inititally at times. ....
The FNR switch is just an ON-OFF-ON switch that provides an input to the controller on either the Forward input line or the Reverse input line.
What would be more likely with your symptoms is the ON-OFF Foot Switch in the MCOR.
The MCOR has a wiper for providing a variable input for speed control.
It also has an ON-OFF switch that tells the controller the Foot Switch has been depressed, Green wire to the controller.
Power for the Foot Switch comes from the Tow/Run switch, thru the Key Switch and into the Foot Switch on a Blue wire.
Without this input the controller will not enable the solenoid.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
M1redskin
Not Yet Wild

Excellent explanation on the circuit! One curious thing I found on this cart was that one lead of the tow / run switch was severed and corroded. I thought I did this by not having the switch in “Two” before disconnecting the negative battery lead before removing the old motor. But I think it was done prior because of the green corrosion I seen on the wire that shorted off the “Two” switch. But I don’t understand how the cart would of run prior if this lead / tow switch was basically open. Thanks though - I will check this circuit over. Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car