lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Default Precedent steering issues after 6” lift

So I’m stumped here. I lifted a 2005 Precedent with an a-arm lift kit. 6 inch lift. I added 23 inch tires. I have installed several of these on several carts. I’m no stranger to aligning them either. I am struggling with this one though. Every time I put the car in reverse and I make a hard turn to the right while backing up. The tire binds up and almost turns 90°. It seems to overextend and push past the point it should stop. I have been playing with the alignment and steering on this thing for over a week now and cannot seem to figure out what is going on. I have actually replaced the spindles with a set from the maker of the lift. I have checked all the bushings which are brand new. I am so confused as to what could be going on right now that I am ready to give up.Here are some pictures of what it looks like when the wheel binds up in reverse. It’s literally almost 90° and rubs against the control arm. I cannot get a good hard stop point when turning one way In reverse ......By the way, I have already replaced the steering box with a practically new takeoff steering box. Still same results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F79C55C-59A0-4552-95D8-D3A597AF7EEA.jpg (219.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BC0F7CF3-802A-4037-B881-C104AFFAAB02.jpg (181.8 KB, 0 views)
anziosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2021, 06:10 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Precedent steering issues after 6” lift

Look closely to the arms there are no stops for the spindles.
The spindle is over extending in it's travel radius and the spindle arm that attaches to the tie rod is going past a straight line with the tie rod.
Need to make a stop to prevent it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
anziosaint
Gone Wild

So I understand what you’re saying, but I have installed several identical lifts on club car precedents and never had this issue? Why do I need to make stops on this cart? And I’m not even sure what or how a stop would look or attach. I’m sure I could figure something out but I want it to be visually pleasing on the cart as well. Just doesn’t make sense?

If you have ever had to fabricate steering stops for a precedent please chime in and show me pics
Old 05-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I have also installed several on them with no stops.
The only other option is to limit the rack travel to again stop the straight line effect and lock.
Not sure the difference in carts.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
anziosaint
Gone Wild

I’m a little shocked no one else has chimed in here? I just spent four hours tearing this front end off and putting it back on several times everything appears to be straight and as it should be? Why is it when I turn the wheel Tarde to the right and I go in reverse the front left tire locks up? It turns in word at a 90° angle and binds. I have tried spacers for the steering rack, I have made sure that the a arms upper and lower or straight. They’re brand new. And for whatever reason This cart just will not aligned correctly. I’m wondering if the frame is bent or some thing? Something is just off. Has anyone ever had to make a steering stop for a club car precedent? If so please chime in how I would do that. I cannot fathom a practical way to do it and make it look correct
Old 05-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does it do that regardless of which direction you turn the wheel?

I will add...do you know if it would do that before the lift was installed?

My thought on this is that I thought some old car pinion setups had the ability to limit travel on the rack gear. I haven’t seen the inside of a golf cart one but perhaps it does and it came undone.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Cart operated fine before the lift as far as turning goes. I only get binding and oversteer when going in reverse and I’m turning the wheel hard to the right. I don’t think there’s a way to limit the amount of travel inside the rack
Old 05-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Interesting, not sure why reverse would matter, looks like it would bind in forward to bases on that first picture.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should snap a picture of it with the wheels straight.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #10
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
You should snap a picture of it with the wheels straight.
Start by centering the wheel as you sit in cart. Then count turns right and then left to normal stops. Should be the same. If they are way off, someone probably over adjusted tie rods to center the wheel earlier. Re-center the wheel as you sit. Then disconnect tie rods. Now re-center the wheel left to right by counting equal turns each way without caring where the wheel is. Now check to see where the tie rods end up in relation to holes in spindles. If way off, there is your problem. With box now centered, where is the wheel. If it is off almost 1/6 turn (hex shaft) lift it off move it first. Then move tie rods in or out to hit holes. Finally reset toe-in keeping wheel centered.

That's how I remember fixing one with same issues.

Worth at least two cents
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car