lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Removing Automatic Watering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
They do vent through the hoses.
They do build up gases in the hoses.
It is somewhat common for watering systems to cause chain reaction explosions that blow the cases apart on all of the connected batteries.

You will need to totally replace the caps with normal vented caps or else the cells will not vent properly.
Wow. Thanks for clarifying that. Seems like a pretty bad design to me, but I don't have the system so I'm not too worried about it.

Some friends of mine do have those systems installed though. Would you recommend removal of the system?
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlands57 View Post
Wow. Thanks for clarifying that. Seems like a pretty bad design to me, but I don't have the system so I'm not too worried about it.

Some friends of mine do have those systems installed though. Would you recommend removal of the system?
I'm keeping my caps, but have removed the hose assembly that plugs into them.

This leaves a 3/8 inch smooth plastic hole in the center where gasses can vent out.

I brought a cap (4 cells combined) into the house, washed it, neutralized it with some baking soda, and then inspected it really well.

I don't think there is any chance of acid splashing out that hole as it would have to first travel up and through some channels.. its not a straight shot into the battery at all.

My only worry right now is garbage like dust and dirt getting into the whole and snaking its way into the cells.

To combat this, I'm going to cut some strips from a 2 liter bottle, warm them up so I can form them into a sort of rolled tubing, and then snap them over the holes. This should keep any dust or dirt from getting in there.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

An alternative for the cap would be to use a scotch pad cut to size and pushed in to the opening. I would act as an air filter that way allowing gas to exit but no particles to enter the opening.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There are other pics of similar incidents posted on the forums here if you hunt around enough.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #15
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlands57 View Post
An alternative for the cap would be to use a scotch pad cut to size and pushed in to the opening. I would act as an air filter that way allowing gas to exit but no particles to enter the opening.
Yes! I was scouring my house for some kind of polyurethane or polyethylene foam that would act as a filter under my "wrap around 2 liter covers".

I have lots of different materials but the holes are too big or they're all closed cell and won't pass gasses through them.

I looked right at the green scrubbies and didn't even consider them..

Great idea! You're a clever rabbit.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:14 AM   #16
HPgolfer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Pull off all of the caps and buy standard battery caps on Ebay. You can get them for $1.50 each. Problem solved!
HPgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car