lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
swpfundir
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 01' CC DS 48v Battery Issues

My 2001 Club Car DS 48v batteries are two years old. When pressing go pedal cart "shudders" and won't move. Of the 6 Trojan batteries, the voltage on 4 batteries is 8.25. The last 2 batts read 7.4v and 4.84v. I discon'd the 4.84 and charged overnight up to a 8.2v. I can only assume I've ruined the batteries? Is 8.25v on the 4 other batteries sufficient or do they need to be replaced too? I can use only basic, 4th grade help for me to find a solution! If there are other threads or previous discussions that match my issues please let me know.

Thanks to everybody on this site for your advice and time.

Regards.
swpfundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 01' CC DS 48v Battery Issues

Here is a graph that forum member Johnnieb put together. Looks like your batteries are on their way out.

Johnnie_Bbattery%.jpg
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Batteries are your biggest expense when owning a cart. Read the "Stickies" about batteries to educate yourself about them. Well worth the time. Also, if you have one of those "bar" battery meters on the dash, replace with a digital voltmeter. They are cheap and you can see condition of your battery pack at a glance.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
swpfundir
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you Mr. BBHC and Bama Brad. I appreciate your input!
Old 06-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Do you have wires for lights or some other kind of accessories attached to the two lowest batteries?
Are those two next to each other in the series?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
swpfundir
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes I do have a winch and acc lights powered by the positive posts on the # 4 of the 6 batteries. When you say lowest batteries, what specifically are you referring to? As a MOF I just replaced # 5 & 6 battery as both died. Are my wiring skills & knowledge (kindergarten) the issue? Which battery should i tap for power to the lights? I'll be reading 'stickies' tonight. Thx for your help!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpfundir View Post
Yes I do have a winch and acc lights powered by the positive posts on the # 4 of the 6 batteries. When you say lowest batteries, what specifically are you referring to? As a MOF I just replaced # 5 & 6 battery as both died. Are my wiring skills & knowledge (kindergarten) the issue? Which battery should i tap for power to the lights? I'll be reading 'stickies' tonight. Thx for your help!
You should have your accessories connected to a voltage reducer that spreads the load out evenly across ALL of the batteries.
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokuro View Post
You should have your accessories connected to a voltage reducer that spreads the load out evenly across ALL of the batteries.
Light use of lights, radio usually won't be a big deal running off 2 of your batteries. But if you are using them a lot AND winch, you are killing those 2 batteries faster than the others. And your charger "reads" total charge of pack, so some batteries are not getting charged as well as if all were in same condition. If you read stickies, you'll discover all this
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
swpfundir
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you, Brad. will do.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Anytime you pull power from only two batteries, those two batteries will end up undercharged.
The charger charges them all at the same time, at the same charge rate. But when you have some batteries at a lower state of charge than others (because they've had to output more energy), those batteries will not recharge at the same rate as the others.

If you're running a winch consider using a separate 12v battery mounted in the bagwell of the cart. Winches pull such a high amount of power there's no way a reducer could provide enough amperage to run it. Most reducers only output 30 amps at most, and even a small winch will pull far more than that when its loaded.

[quote]Yes I do have a winch and acc lights powered by the positive posts on the # 4 of the 6 batteries. When you say lowest batteries, what specifically are you referring to? As a MOF I just replaced # 5 & 6 battery as both died. Are my wiring skills & knowledge (kindergarten) the issue? Which battery should i tap for power to the lights? I'll be reading 'stickies' tonight. Thx for your help![/img]

The two with the lowest voltage. Are those the two your winch and lights are hooked to?

Lights generally don't pull that much power.
A radio will pull more than people often think it does, especially if its on the whole time you're riding. This will draw two batteries down quite a lot.
A winch will pull a lot of power, and even if you only use it once, if its pulling power from the same batteries that the lights and the radio are on, it's putting double the draw on those and they're not getting double the charge when you plug the cart in to charge it. They get the same amount of charge as the others in the pack, which means those two are always in a state of being undercharged.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car