lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 90 CC resister cables burning up.

I have a 1990 CC resister cart with coils and one single selinoid. The battery wires linking the batteries and going to the motor and resister plate get extremely hot and I smell burning plastic after driving about 1 mile. I’ve replaced all cables with 4awg wire except the v-glide cables which are the original 6awg. They are melting!! The new cables are warm, but not as bad. Obviously I need (and will tomorrow) replace those with the same 4awg wire. But are they supposed to get so hot and what is clean enough of a connection between the coils and the plate? I’ve replaced the washer, but not the bolt or nuts on the resister plate.

See pictures, the bolts do have some rust still, it’s not shiny metal. Should I soak them in rust dissolver or CLR?

Also, I’ve cleaned every connection I can get my hands on so I know they are all clean and tight and in good condition. The wires look original so I’ve started replacing them and thought I might as well go bigger.

This is my first post, but I’ve read a lot on here and greatly appreciate the knowledge and assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2616DFF2-1167-4500-A610-68EEA38D1A2A.jpg (17.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CA2D4233-FA54-439B-9FC3-6DB7777250C7.jpg (15.9 KB, 0 views)
TrevorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2021, 04:54 AM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 90 CC resister cables burning up.

First make sure all the connections are clean and tight for cables. Make sure the wiper and pads on you vglide have good contact and make sure that the wiper is getting all the way to the top. When the wiper is at the top, full throttle, none of the power will be running through the resistors and goes straight to motor.
Which wires are getting hot? If your driving that cart more than a few hundred feet keep the pedal down to full throttle, these shouldn’t be run at low speeds long or they will get hot.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I’ve checked the vglide, cleaned the copper pads and all look great. It’s really all of the cables nearest the resistor plate that are getting hot.

Good to know about driving full speed, but sometimes I don’t want to go 20mph.

I’m replacing the cables today and I’ll make double sure connections on the vglide are good. That’s about the only thing I haven’t replaced…. Lol

So much for a cheap cart… thanks for the response.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yea the slower you go the more heat you will build up. Those carts were designed to run a couple hundred feet and stop as they went down the golf course.

Is that a stock motor running 20mph? That’s really hauling for that cart.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The guy I bought it from said it might have been upgraded before but he didn’t know and only had it for a couple months. It went 15mph when I first got it. 19 on a slight downhill.

After a new selinoid and larger wires it flys! There is a slight jerk if I hit the pedal too hard (only half throttle) that my wife does not like. Working on that too.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should take a picture of the motor and put it up here. If it is an upgraded motor it’s going to pull more amps aka more heat. It’s awesome if it is upgraded and it very well might be at that speed but could also be the root of your heat problems.

In my neighborhood there are 4 of us that have early 90’s DS’s with the resistor setups and when they were all stock 3 of us would run in the 13-14 mph range and one guys went 17 on a stock motor, he actually had the lowest rated HP but the rated RPMs were higher. If you are hitting 20 I would guess you have something upgraded.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Is it possible someone put 48 volts on this system instead of the original 36?
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

That’s a possibility. That would put a 14-15mph cart about 20z
Old 08-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 90 CC resister cables burning up.

Man I’ve got to caution you if you got an upgraded motor -or- 48v running through it. That v-glide will not last, it just can’t handle more than stock (of anything) long term. I used to have the same setup as you on my 98 and it lasted about 1 year after I started upgrading. I had the same problems as you also, first I was smelling plastic burning & super hot wires so upgraded the wires, noticed a big improvement but V-Glide was smelling now and I could see where it was getting hot. Next I bought a controller and ditched the old v-glide & toaster parts. Then the F/R switch had to go. Then the stock motor burned up …It’s a snowball effect. Better keep it 100% stock or v-glide just won’t last. I even have concerns with just a rear seat on v-glides.

Post close up pics of a battery model number and also your motor, that’s the best way we can get you sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
TrevorB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Batteries are 6volt, and 6 of them.

Here’s the motor, I couldn’t find anything briefly but I’ll keep researching.

The white cables at the bottom of the v glide we’re hand tight, could that be my whole problem?

Also, I can’t fit 4g wires on the v glide and from what y’all are saying, I shouldn’t. But should I replace all the 6g with new?

I need this cart to run 2.5 miles there and back to the ball field, without catching on fire. Top speed isn’t my main concern, distance is.

Thanks guys!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car