lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Bought new set of batteries (48v) and can't believe the shops recommend charging sch

So I just bought a new set of 6 8 volt batteries for my 96 Club Car. Now I have always read that you should charge your batteries daily and keep them charged. When swapping out my old cores with the new batteries the guy at the shop told me that every time you charge it you're taking life away from the battery and you should run the batteries almost all the way down before recharging. I was in disbelief and then talking with my neighbor who has five generations living on the land around me whom all collectively have 9+ golf carts said the same thing.

Where is that school of thought coming from?
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Bought new set of batteries (48v) and can't believe the shops recommend charging

Danger danger danger....error error error...

It is the opposite...

When batteries a are not charged and left in a state of semi discharge,
sulfation start taking place on the lead plate in the battery.
The sulfation is a crust that forms on the lead plate that will just
thicken over time keeping the acid from reaching the lead plates.
Thus the battery dies ...

Charging your batteries knocks the sulfation crystals off the lead plates.
As well as driving out the acid from the plates and re-establishes the correct
charge in the battery.

By not charging your batteries you actually are killing them off...despite
what your 9+ golfcart owner has said

Here is some important reading on the subject of battery life and charging.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-info.html

Hope that clarifies
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Bought new set of batteries (48v) and can't believe the shops recommend charging

Forgot to say that my battery pack is left charging at end of each and every
day (duty cycle)....

But then my charger is an Eagle Pro from dual pro and will perform
bulk, absorption, finalization then float charges and once a month if
left plugged in will perform an equalization balance charge....

It is one amazing piece of gear!! Also has bluetooth app...

Best wishes
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't believe them! Charge your batteries!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

My gawd.

Simply put, all "modern" chargers, with "modern" being the last 30 years, have "maintenance modes" built into in them so that they periodically turn themselves on to make sure that the batteries are always fully charged.

Keep dem sommanabishes charged!
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I was told the same thing when I got my first set of batteries. I don't know why a battery store would tell us that, unless they want us to come back sooner. Maybe car batteries are that way. Anyway, Keep charged...add water after full charge as needed.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yeah I didn't believe it! Just couldn't believe hearing it.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Many have no clue as to how to best handle FLA or Lithium batteries. For FLA, they last the longest if you keep them fully charged all the time. Charging really doesn't "Wear them out" but quite the opposite. Now Lithium is a different animal. Lithium batteries actually degrade faster when fully charged or when in a state of discharge. They like to be in the middle somwhere. The shops selling carts with Lithium here are telling customers to charge them after every use. Now that may be required with the tiny batteries that come in many of these carts. (< 50AH) They are fairly limited in range but you still should get a couple rounds of golf out of them. If so, then you should charge them after every other round. But with FLA batteries, you should put your cart on the charger after every use even though they could go much further.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I was told the same thing when I got my first set of batteries. I don't know why a battery store would tell us that, unless they want us to come back sooner. Maybe car batteries are that way. Anyway, Keep charged...add water after full charge as needed.
I'm still charging my new batteries. Hooked them up and drove around for about 30 mins and it has been charging for almost 6hr total 2 different times. Didn't want to charge overnight because I want to make sure the charger shuts off. 9yr old batteries were being boiled dry. Gun shy now lol
Old 01-13-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good plan. I would never leave my cart charging overnight or when I was leaving the house. It's good to check on it periodically to make sure nothing is going haywire. I found that older batteries consume much more water during charging than new ones. My 2012 cart was purchased new and the batteries only needed water maybe once a month but when I got rid of those batteries and switched to Lithium in 2016, they needed water about once a week. They still were usable but noticeably degraded by then.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car