lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Aux Battery for Stereo

Those that have installed an aux battery specifically for a stereo and other accessories...What sizer battery did you choose and what kind of run time are you experiencing? I've seen quite a few threads where people install an extra battery but not much discussion about run time. I realize that is a huge variable but the info would be helpful to make a decision.

I'm looking at some sealed lead acid batteries in the 30 to 50ah range.

I'm installing a Bluetooth amp and 4 speakers (2 4" coaxials up front and 2 6 1/2" behind the front seat-back) and I'm trying to keep battery size to a minimum so that I can hide it up front under the hood area and keep all my wire runs as short as possible. But I want to make sure that I get a big enough battery to run my setup for maybe an hour while hanging out at the boat ramp and driving around the neighborhood. I don't think my amp will draw much current since I'm not trying to power any subs but I really don't know that for sure.
jayhrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Aux Battery for Stereo

This will be impossible to determine without specifics of the amp.

Some amps draw 5 amps
Some amps draw 50 amps
Some amps draw 500 amps

It also will depend greatly upon the type of music (bass requires more electrical energy to produce than higher frequencies) and volume upon which you intend to listen. Listening at a moderate “conversation level” will draw significantly less amperage than cranking the tunes.

I personally opted not to install a radio in my cart. I’ve got a klipsch Bluetooth speaker, it’s plenty loud for anything I’ll ever need and runs for 6-8 hours on a charge. If it dies while it’s out I just plug it into a USB and back up and running without messing with my run time
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
jayhrc51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I realize it's not a clear cut answer without knowing the amp's current draw but just trying to get an average of what some people are seeing, who did decide to go this route.

I've had a few different Bluetooth speakers and not happy with them, or the fact that I worry about someone swiping it off the cart if (when...) the kids forget to hide it or bring it with them when they go into a store. Most portables are barely decent for anything more than screeching highs while driving. I've got a couple that are over $200 and they're fine while sitting at the beach but not while driving around.

My install will be very stealth and just as convenient since my amp (Precision Power i520.4B) is Bluetooth capable. Flip a remote on switch to trigger the amp, connect via Bluetooth and I'm listening to music just like I have been doing with the portable Bluetooth speakers. Accept now I'll have more power and volume and I wont need to worry about a portable Bluetooth speaker walking away
jayhrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

I have a separate 35ah deep cycle sealed battery mounded directly behind 6 golf cart batteries. Used to have a radio/cd player with 2 6 inch speakers hooked up to it but the radio broke so I opted to use my Bluetooth speaker instead of replacing radio. I installed a USB charger port on the cart to charge speaker or cell phones like the above poster has.

I run headlights, taillights, led rope lights and USB port on the 35ah battery. I only charge it once every couple days to maybe close to a week. When I had the speaker and radio hooked up it could easily run for few hours without charge. It's nice to be able to listen to music without draining the carts pack but I think the Bluetooth speaker blows it away.

As far as the size if the battery I believe it's about 6 inches long by 7-8 inches in height. I have a fuse box hooked up to it then I run all my accessories off the fuse box. I use a separate 12 volt charger to charge it but I considered adding a solar panel charger to it for ease of charging.
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The ppi i520.4b looks like it’s rated at 100 watts RMS x4 channels. Ppi usually comes pretty close to their ratings with actual performance so based off of that, running that amplifier at 12 volts it can pull a little more than 30 amps constantly. Music is dynamic so there will be peaks above that and below that as well.

Basic math for simplicity, running 30 amps on a 30aH battery will give you around 30 minutes of play time to 50% discharge.

Obviously it will draw less current at low volumes and last a bit longer, but that amp is probably rated for about 10-16v operation. It won’t take it long before it starts dipping under 10v and it will shut off to protect itself.

I’d get the biggest possible battery you can fit, or find something a bit more efficient.

This is all just math based on round numbers and potential draw. Without powering up the amp to all of the speakers you intend to run, and playing them at the volume you expect to normally listen to and measuring ACTUAL current being pulled with that load, it’s just a ballpark estimate to give you an idea of what you can expect.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car