lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
sem1845
Not Yet Wild

Smile Lost half my power

I have a 2013 Precedent 6 seater with Plum Quick Bandit motor, new batteries, and unknown controller. While driving down a hill under full power it suddenly made a squealing/rubbing/grinding sound. Stopped and couldn't find anything noticeably wrong. Since then the power has been. About half what it was while going up steep hills and top speed is slower. Another curious thing is that it no longer slows down automatically when you let off the pedal.

Any ideas on where I should start. I was going to call plum quick Monday as I suspect something with the motor.

Thanks
sem1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lost half my power

I would suspect the controller not the motor based on your symptoms.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
sem1845
Not Yet Wild

Does the controller or motor do the slowdown when you're off the pedal? I assume that it is in the motor. That is why I believe the motor is the problem.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

How fast were you going? I’m guessing you probably over revved the motor going full pedal down a hill. They’re only designed to spin so many rpm. Exceed that and they become unhappy.

I’m surprised you had any regen before this happened, from what I recall reading their website they disable regen with the bandit?

I’d call plum quick and ask, but I’m thinking the motor sustained damage.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm all in for helping anybody who can post " Lost half may power" with a smiley face

My bet is the motor based upon the downhill sudden occurrence of the noise and subsequent loss of power. If you have some free time, loosen the motor and slide it out 1/2 inch then try to get you nose close to the opening and see if you can smell that unmistakable burnt electrical odor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm all in for helping anybody who can post " Lost half may power" with a smiley face
Every broken part exposes an opportunity for an upgrade.

Generally at the most inconvenient of times, of course.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Kinda depends how fast you were going, but I agree with Scotty and CP, haul arsin down a hill at full pedal will make the motor try to expand itself.
The centrifugal force tears the armature apart. Usually it results in a Big Bang sorta situation, and it fills the motor case with copper spaghetti.
Need to open the motor up and have a peek.

https://plumquick.com/bandit-electri...or-temperature
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem1845 View Post
While driving down a hill under full power it suddenly made a squealing/rubbing/grinding sound
Based on this statement, you were operating the cart under no load and effectively over-revved the motor beyond specs. If you achieved a faster speed than when you run on level pavement, I believe the motor was damaged. The brushes and commutator have a maximum speed they can live with.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:30 PM   #9
sem1845
Not Yet Wild

Just an update.

Cart is still running with less power. I talked with Plum Quick and it definitely sounds like the motor and it was over revved. I have a 350amp Curtis controllerin it now. It looks like that will get upgraded and a Plum Quick Rhino will be going in.

Anyone have recommendations on controller. It seems like Navitas and Alltrax are my 2 options.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:41 PM   #10
sem1845
Not Yet Wild

I also ordered an LED glow 6 seater underbody kit to replace the current kit that flickers for a second then cuts out. And one of the tubes is out with no continuity. Next up is getting the radio/speakers working.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car