lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 CC 48v Motor guide ring???

Gerald-Lining up the ring isn't that big of a problem without a guide shaft if you just take a little time. I have now replaced 3 of them by removing old ring (note retainer lock ring to be removed) cleaning everything inside motor spline housing and "dry running" new ring inside to practice line-up with small screw driver running up & down the groves to match alignment. Use a good overhead light and you will get the picture. When you see how the ring can be aligned put the cement (I use gasket cement as it gives time to do final alignment) on the ring, slide it in, check alignment with the small screw driver tip up & down the groves and LET DRY for a minimum of 24 hr. then put on the retainer lock ring. You might want to put a coat of all purpose poly grease on the drive shaft prior to replacing motor. Odds are the old ring may be loose enough to pry out, if not It can be cut with a small drill at 2/3 places and collapsed enough to get it out in pieces. THis works for an 80 year old duffer in Spokane WA so should work in New Mex. also!!! Note-Be sure to tag motor cables to identify prior to removal and also disconnect + battery cable

Last edited by dcannow; 06-10-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: correction
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

hey thanks for chiming in ............i knew someone out there did one and had an idea......hes in CO i,m in PA................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Mornin' Tom, here is a thread that shows the guide ring in the end of the armature and some good text from Lockman1.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ng-bumper.html
GeraldW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Morning dcannow, thanks so much for the post and the advice - I will try that as soon as I get the new part and let you guys know how it went. if us old duffers hang in together we can do it eh?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Gerald-Use any info you get from the Lockman--He walked me through the problem with the 1st. one I did a couple of years ago He responded to my original panic as I thought I had to replace the rear end on my cart. I am now doing them for some local friends. (I now have it down to about a 6-pac job but am still charging a 12-pac.) I recall that Lockman has other info but you might want to PM him for his thoughts . As I recall he is up around Wisconson so may still be in hibernation.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Morning fellas; I had another thought - while the motor is out, should I be thinking of changing brushes or anything else. As far as I know, the cart was used for 3/4 rounds for 6 months of the year over the last 6 years with little or no maintenance. I have got the 4 gauge wiring ordered so that will all be replaced in the next few days.
thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

In all my messing around with CC carts over the past 8/9 years I have yet to replace the brushes in a motor. Maybe it was just luck. It might be the time but if it was running ok (other than the clicking noise) I would be inclined to skip the brushes. Pulling the armature out and putting it back in could be an invite for old Murphy's Law. If you are concerned just roll the dice and do it. Then you will be a "go to guy" for brush replacements. Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks DCannow - I'll take that advice - at least I will have got practice in with motor removal so it shouldn't be so hard the second time
Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Re motor removal. I tried the first one by dropping the Rt Rear spring shakle and bringing the motor out that side. Holding the motor up for replacement/alignment is a healthy project. The seond time I rigged a sling from the above access cover and lowered the motor down. Then I used the sling to lift the motor back up for realignment/install. This seemed to work a lot easier for me in lieu of trying to hold the motor up with one hand and start the attachment bolts. Plus I didn,t think dropping the spring was all that helpful. My sling was a ratchet tie down strap held up by a bar across the access opening. I am hopeful that Old Mec and/or Scotty b or any of the many others that have done many more of these might jump in here and give even better ways to handle the motor. Be sure and have good blocks holding the cart up after jacking it up for more room.

Last edited by dcannow; 06-11-2011 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am just getting round to planning how I was going to get the motor out -- I can see the axle is in the way of lowering it to the floor directly; but I like your idea of using a ratchet tie down as a sling support. thanks for the tip
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car