lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid/OBC problem 1996 CC 48v

thanks gaminde
GeraldW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
The OBC controls two solenoids One in the charger (this one turns the charger on and off) and one in the cart this makes it not go with the charger plugged in. The second is What you are jumping correct, if so the charger could work normally check sure it shuts off and all is good.
i,m sorry i don,t understand this???..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

there is only one solenoid - its not a regen cart/motor - its the series cart with the original motor. I ran it round the golf course over 18 holes today and it behaved perfectly. I tried a little test before I took it out; plugged the charger in and tried to move it - it moved. that tells me the OBC is not locking out the cart while the charger is plugged in; further evidence the OBC is bad (I think). I am monitoring the charger now - I plugged it in after I got back from golf and it started charging full load 15 amps. Not sure how long it takes to restore the charge but I am going to check it every hour and watch to see if the amps drop or hopefully it will shut off
Gerald
Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok the OBC controls TWO solenoids

1st solenoid is in the charger itself this is how the OBC shuts off the Charger

the first solenoid circuit is the charging circuit and this is where the OBC controls the charging if this is jumped then charger will not shut off

2nd solenoid is in the Cart this is the main power to the cart and makes the cart not go if the charger is plugged into the cart.

the second solenoid circuit can be bad and still allow the OBC to control charging, to work just jump the main cart solenoid small lead to ground.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

got it - thanks - I think this is the situation; I have put a fused jumper from negative battery pack to the solenoid that runs the cart - so the cart runs fine. The charger is working and amps have dropped from 15 to 12 in just over an hour. I think about 4 hours should charge the battery pack up and I hope it will shut off about then.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

GeraldW

Its going to take 16 hours to shut off so make coffee!!

I believe it will work fine with the jumper installed.

Putting the diode in backwards could have of blown the OBC driver circuit!! check the diode with an ohm meter both directions one way is very high ohms and the other way is low ohms.

On that era cart I would look at a new charger, I have seen them for the price of the OBC alone, then you get rid of that pesky little critter.

The jumper you installed is in the Cart correct main solenoid.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

correct - the fused jumper is from #6 battery neg terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid that also accepts the yellow 16 gauge wire from the OBC; the cart runs like normal. I have disconnected the jumper while charging and am going to reset the OBC after charging is complete - just in case
thanks for the advice
Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

For reference there is a newer suppression device called a MOV metal oxide varistor which could replace the Diode and can be connected in either direction, without damage to the OBC. Below is a link to one at Mouser there about 18 cents each.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...C2KynEr0%252b2
Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks pal
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

gaminde....what soleniod are you referring to in a charger? help me out here i,m lost at how the soleniod in a cart has anything to do with charging........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car