lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #21
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: Converting Fwd/Rev lever to electrical switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Come on with the pictures already!!!!
The conversion is done. Everything worked out fine except the 1/2 speed reverse on the controller terminal #4 did not work. I have queried Alltrax on that but solved the problem by putting a 5k resistor on the black wire that went to #4 and spliced it into the white wire going to terminal #2, leaving #4 unused.This conversion used 7'8" of 4 gauge compared to the 18' of the original. Please note this configuration suits my needs but others may want to make some adaptions as a result of the following. A) With the fwd/rev switch in neutral and the on/off switch turned on, when you floor the throttle pedal the main solenoid will be activated but the car won't go, however, in the unlikely event of you keeping the pedal to the floor and switching the fwd/rev switch either way the cart will take off like a rocket B) The reverse buzzer only operates when you activate the throttle pedal (ie start moving) and not as soon as you switch to reverse. Before and after pics are attached.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Alltrax replied to my enquiry and corrected the way I understood their 1/2 speed terminal. A wire is connected directly from the reverse solenoid coil positive to terminal #4 on the controller and when the solenoid is activated terminal #4 sees the 48v and reduces the output to the throttle QED
This simplifies the circuit with only a 3 spade fwd/rev switch required, eliminating the fwd/rev switch in the throttle circuit. A revised diagram is attached for anyone who may be interested.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

so what's going on here does it work do you like it give us something
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdog View Post
The conversion is done. Everything worked out fine except the 1/2 speed reverse on the controller terminal #4 did not work. I have queried Alltrax on that but solved the problem by putting a 5k resistor on the black wire that went to #4 and spliced it into the white wire going to terminal #2, leaving #4 unused.This conversion used 7'8" of 4 gauge compared to the 18' of the original. Please note this configuration suits my needs but others may want to make some adaptions as a result of the following. A) With the fwd/rev switch in neutral and the on/off switch turned on, when you floor the throttle pedal the main solenoid will be activated but the car won't go, however, in the unlikely event of you keeping the pedal to the floor and switching the fwd/rev switch either way the cart will take off like a rocket B) The reverse buzzer only operates when you activate the throttle pedal (ie start moving) and not as soon as you switch to reverse. Before and after pics are attached.
i got my 500A alltrax installed. mine is set-up a little different than yours....
  • turning the cart on powers up the controller for programming without having to hold the throttle partially open.
  • leaving the F&R switch in neutral allows for programming changes and throttle range testing
  • no main contactor
  • ½ speed reverse hooked to reverse micro switch and is fed +48V

the ½ speed reverse was essential! without it, i was tearin' up grass and peelin' wheelies. i may put in a toggle that allows enabling the ½ speed for forward as well....
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDAWG View Post
You mean a new controller and new motor right? You may want to re-think this post.
Just saw this why in the world would you need a new motor
Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
Just saw this why in the world would you need a new motor
This is what you said:

Golfdog sorry but i have one question
How much will it cost to do this and would it not be better to use this money and get a controller that uses a toggle switch for F/R

If he were to buy a controller that uses a toggle switch for F&R, that would be a controller for a shunt system, not series. His cart is a series cart. He would have to buy a new motor to match the new controller. Therefore, the cost would have been way higher than the way he did it with reversing contactors.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #27
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well I just learned something
They do make toggle switch reversing series controllers but not really for the golf cart market, there much larger and higher voltage units for larger EV cars and very pricey, very very pricey.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
so what's going on here does it work do you like it give us something
To cut a long story short, yes and no. My Alltrax controller has an intermittant problem so I removed it and reinstalled the Curtis. In so doing I had to revert to the 6 spade Fwd/Rev switch setup with the reverse wire to the controller spliced into the green wire to terminal 2 and containing a 5k resistor. Otherwise the setup works well. I have attached the wiring diagram as it now is, which can also be used on the Alltrax without using terminal 4.
Not sure why Club Car did not use the reversing contactor on their series carts years ago. I would have thought that the cost of the contactor is no more than the lever switch and the extra #6 gauge wire. In addition there are no microswitches and connectors in the battery compartment to get contaminated, an overall much nicer setup.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #29
buddyroe
Not Yet Wild

Golfdog - which one of your drawings is the latest? The last post in this thread has one attached. However, it is revision 1.2. Previously in the thread, you attached version 1.3. I just want to make sure I am looking at your latest.

I have done this conversion on an EZGO series cart, but this is my first time on a club car. I am doing it for a nice neighbor who has had a ton of problems with the FnR switch. Unfortunately, all of my experience is on an EZGO, so I am a little lost with Club Car's wiring.

I plan to eliminate the OBC and get them to buy a charger with the built-in computer. Does this change your drawing at all? Any recommendation on this aspect of the project?

Thanks in advance for your help.
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #30
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
Golfdog - which one of your drawings is the latest? The last post in this thread has one attached. However, it is revision 1.2. Previously in the thread, you attached version 1.3. I just want to make sure I am looking at your latest.

I have done this conversion on an EZGO series cart, but this is my first time on a club car. I am doing it for a nice neighbor who has had a ton of problems with the FnR switch. Unfortunately, all of my experience is on an EZGO, so I am a little lost with Club Car's wiring.

I plan to eliminate the OBC and get them to buy a charger with the built-in computer. Does this change your drawing at all? Any recommendation on this aspect of the project?

Thanks in advance for your help.
There are two drawings, one when using the #4 spade terminal on an Alltrax NPX or AXE Controller and one when ignoring that terminal, either with Alltrax or Curtis Controller. I have attached the two drawings plus a wiring diagram for 1996 - 2005 Club Car. (they did have 3 differant throttle controls over the years but the wiring is similar) The only differance if you intend eliminating the OBC is on the Switching circuit where it shows yellow wire from the main solenoid coil negative to the OBC. This would then go to either the Controller B- or the battery -. You might also want to look at www.Alltraxinc.com in their Document Depo "AXE Reverse with Plug Brake wiring diagram" which I used as a source of info. Obviously this circuit only works, as is, if you use solenoids with 48v coils.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car