lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default My buggie has gone mild :sleepy2:

Hey y'all
My 2001 48v DS Regen has stopped running and charging. For no apparent reason it will sometimes run perfectly normally, but then stop running just as quickly as it started. I have not had a chance to see if it will charge during those periods when it is running. Pack voltage is at 50.3. Batteries are new and all terminals are corrosion-free. When I plug in the charger the amp meter on the charger doesn't move, nor is there the usual audible "click" of the charger relay. Voltage across the pack doesn't change with the charger plugged in. I performed the OBC bypass test by jumping the black lead from the charger recepticle to the negative terminal on last battery in the series but the charger amp meter still doesn't move and the pack voltage stays the same. With the charger recepticle jumped to the negative terminal of battery six I tested voltage across the charger recepticle sockets and it was 50.3 (as expected). I was hoping that test would implicate the OBC as the problem but it didn't. I guess it could still be the OBC but I am wondering if there is some way to be sure before buying one. Is there another way to test that? Could the tow/run switch be the culprit? Will the charger work when the tow/run switch is set to tow? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: My buggie has gone mild :sleepy2:

its not the black wire, you jump the center grey wire to ground and the charger should fire up.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
its not the black wire, you jump the center grey wire to ground and the charger should fire up.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

So really? It's the grey wire to the yellow fuse? I found at least seven posts all with the same (confusing) instructions saying the BLACK wire from the recepticle goes to a YELLOW fuse holder.

OK, I'll try that test early tomorrow and post back then.

I hope it is the OBC. Not that I want to have to buy one, but I'd like to know WTH is wrong.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: My buggie has gone mild

I did the OBC test this morning, jumping the grey wire fromthe yellow fuse holder to the NEG terminal onbattery 6. This time, when I plugged in the charger I could hear the audible relay click from the charger, but the amp meter stayed at zero and the voltage across the pack remained at 50.3 so no charging was occuring. I guess this still points to a bad OBC but I'd appreciate your opinions before I buy one. Speaking of buying one, anyone have a recommendation for where to get a new OBC at a reasonable price?
Thanks y'all!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Could it be that because you were jumping the wires is the reason the meter did not move?

It did come on though correct?
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well the OBC is not controlling things at this point so there are a few things to check
1 Try a OBC RESET
2 Make sure the OBC (i think red) red wire is getting power
3 Make sure the OBC black wire (i think three of them) are connected correctly.

so after all this check the black wire coming from the charge receptacle to the OBC has voltage, not at the battery (the obc switches ground to regulate charge) so in from the charge receptacle and then out to the batteries. This is the 2 larger black wires.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I installed a new OBC today and the cart is back to normal so that would appear to have been the problem. Of course, the cheapo voltage reducer died 20 minutes later so my work is not done. Glad I spent the time and effort installing that thing just perfect - next time it get tie-wrapped somewhere! At least it was 8 days before the warrany expired, so we'll see if the e-bay retailer will honor his 1 year warranty. If not, I'll let you know who so you can all avoid him. The only good news is that I had installed a terminal block so I don't have to re-solder any connections! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car