lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 48V 2002 Model Club car will not charge

again its a golfcart and they just sometimes make no sense and even the bypass dosn,t work 100% of the time.................its not your charger and if your fuse is good and all cables and wires replace OBC.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahirt View Post
Hi. Hope someone can help. When I plug 48 volt plug of Powerdrive charger into Golf Cart receptacle , relay in charger clicks and transformer buzzes, but no amps on meter and no charge. Voltage across battery pack is 36v (batteries are run down but new 18 months ago). Inside cart receptacle voltage is 35 V. Fuses are all ok. Charger measures 50V dc across charging pins on the plug when I wire power direct to transformer (around the relay). Transformer secondary coils measure about 100V ac (book says 84v min.). The OBC is a Lester Electrical 21155-02. Is this the problem? Is there any way I can confirm that the OBC is at fault? I tried resetting the OBC but no reverse buzzer sounds after I disconnect the neg terminal of battery pack. All wires appear to be sound and tight. Any ideas? I am about to go crazy.

Thanks.

Alan
you have determined the charger turns on when plugged into the carts outlet..( transformia hums ) and you have determined the charger is putting voltage out when you jumper out the relay and measured at the charger plug..

what you failed to do is check for incomming battery voltage at the DC terminals of the diode bridge.... this will test the charger cable , the fuse and the wires leading BACK TO THE BATTERIES....

look at the attached diagram and measure the voltage at the indicated test point.... it should be EXACTLY the same as the voltage of your battery pack
caution this test is done with the charger disconnected from an AC source but plugged into the golf cart

I suspect a break in the NEGATIVE line going back to the battery's negative terminals cause the red (posative) and the Blue wire to the relay are working to turn the charger on and give you the HUMMING sound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger test points.jpg (20.6 KB, 16 views)
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

The charger works perfectly on another golf cart - so the problem is definitely in my cart. The line fuse (in the yellow fuse holder) and the fuse on the receptacle both are fine. The cart receptacle measures the same voltage as the the batteries (currently about 42 volts). I can't see what else it can be except the OBC.
Thanks for your thoughts and assistance.
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
The charger works perfectly on another golf cart - so the problem is definitely in my cart. The line fuse (in the yellow fuse holder) and the fuse on the receptacle both are fine. The cart receptacle measures the same voltage as the the batteries (currently about 42 volts). I can't see what else it can be except the OBC.

......................................... .....
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
the voltage that you say is fine at the carts receptacle might be ONLY the control voltage used to turn on the chargers relay comming from the obc ....and not comming directly from the batteries....

try the test at the diode.... as i indicated
the diode test is NOT to test the charger itself but the circuits from the charger to the batteries. if the obc is defective the relay in the battery charger would NOT activate and you said yous does activate
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the OBC. Batteries charged up and cart worked fine. One question though. The cart seems to have a slower top speed than it did before. Does the OBC control the top speed? I understand that the top speed is computer controlled and that this can only be changed by the dealer. I am guessing that a new OBC comes preprogrammed with the lowest top speed. Am I correct?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Replaced the OBC. Batteries charged up and cart worked fine. One question though. The cart seems to have a slower top speed than it did before. Does the OBC control the top speed? I understand that the top speed is computer controlled and that this can only be changed by the dealer. I am guessing that a new OBC comes preprogrammed with the lowest top speed. Am I correct?

Thanks for all your help.
The controller is what is programmed for speed by dealer, not OBC . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
ahirt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car