lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
vetman1
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent I2 Controller Question

Does anyone know of a 500 amp motor controller that will work with the Precedent I2 electrical system?

I contacted Alltrax today and they do not have a controller that will work with the I2 sytem. I wanted to upgrade the motor on my cart and therefore need something more than the stock 250 amp Curtis controller.

Secondly, when going to a larger controller does it significantly decrease your run time or does it offset the consumption by an increased efficiency?

Thanks,
Thomas
vetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent I2 Controller Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetman1 View Post
Does anyone know of a 500 amp motor controller that will work with the Precedent I2 electrical system?

I contacted Alltrax today and they do not have a controller that will work with the I2 sytem. I wanted to upgrade the motor on my cart and therefore need something more than the stock 250 amp Curtis controller.

Secondly, when going to a larger controller does it significantly decrease your run time or does it offset the consumption by an increased efficiency?

Thanks,
Thomas
The I2 system is the same as the first Gen Precedent. That's probably what confused AllTrax. The IQ system on the First generation Precedent is the same as the I2. Exactly the same.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
tlr6334
Gone Wild
Club Car

Tahoe Dawg,
Is this the same controller that's on the 2008.5 and up precedent?
Thanks,
Tommy
tlr6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
vetman1
Not Yet Wild

Tahoe Dawg can answer these questions much better than I can answer. In 2008.5 or so Club car started using an electrical system called Excel. The Excel wiring is a little different than the IQ system causing the controllers that work with IQ not to work with the Excel.

If you go to the Altrax website they have a bulletin to the effect that explains the problems with the controllers. Other than the serial number for clarification, the Excel will have a grey Curtis controller and the IQ system will have a black Curtis controller.

So far I am not finding any aftermarket controllers that will work with the Club Car Excel electrical system.

Also a little clarification as to the best of my knowledge of the nomenclature of the Club Car models. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong. The Club Car changed to the I2 system which was basically changing from a four 12 volt battery configuration to six 8 volt batteries. The I2 does not refer to the electrical wiring harness. When Club Car changed to an Excel electrical system that is when they changed the wiring harness.

Thomas
vetman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Club Car Precedent - 2004 - 2008
Club Car Precedent I2 - 2008.5-Present... The I2 featured a slightly modified dash and allowed the use of either 4-12s or 6-8s in the original battery bucket. The Controller is mounted behind the battery pack on an I2, instead of between them in the center of the bucket. The I2 was available in either IQ or Excel (Serial number PQ or PH) from 2008.5 until 2012. In 2012 they went to 100% Excel. No More IQ. Excel controllers are identical to IQ in appearance except for color. IQ=Black Excel=Grey.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
tlr6334
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info guys. Alltrax is working on a controller for the excel model cart, should be out in late Jan.
Thanks again,
Tommy
tlr6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car