lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
gabeancounter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tips for buying a trailer to haul cart

Tractor Supply is having a one day sale tomorrow. 5x10 drop gate wood floor and 3500lb axle for $999. Not a smoking deal but a new trailer with new tires etc. $300 off .

http://www.tractorsupply.com/Circula...?storeId=10551
gabeancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
razor1
Gone Wild

Most important, in my mind, is a drop gate. I started with a 5x10 and was using metal ramps and that was a complete PITA. Also, in order to tie down your cart your need somewhere to hook to, seems like a stupid statement, but you won't believe how many trailers don't have loops for tie downs. I ended up having a gate and tie down loops welded to the trailer.
razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1 View Post
Most important, in my mind, is a drop gate. I started with a 5x10 and was using metal ramps and that was a complete PITA. Also, in order to tie down your cart your need somewhere to hook to, seems like a stupid statement, but you won't believe how many trailers don't have loops for tie downs. I ended up having a gate and tie down loops welded to the trailer.
Most angle iron trailers have the upright supports for the railing welded with the edges against the base which leaves a triangular opening at the bottom. If you use ratchet straps with hooks for tie downs you can put the hooks in that triangular opening.

Something I like about the full width hinged drop ramp is even if the cart gets loose and rolls back against the ramp it isn't going anywhere. My ramp is pinned on both sides with a big pins similar to those used in the receiver hitch.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Jreau
Not Yet Wild

Just an FYI that May help some people that are looking for ways to haul your golf cart. If by chance you have a single jet ski trailer you can probably make it double for a golf cart trailer. I have a Triton trailer and the cart tires will straddle the bunks and still fit inside the fenders. I have a Yamaha G2 and the outside of the tires fit inside the fenders with a 1/2" to spare. Bolt down a 2x8 on each side and you're on your way.
Even if you don't have a jet ski trailer laying around they can be bought for $3-400 and the cost of some boards and you're in business.
Jreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My drop gate was a PITA until I installed these Gorilla lift assist's. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Goril...st/1146468.uts These are easy to install and once you have them on, they make your drop gate very easy to open and close (yes….virtually one hand) and IMHO, much safer to use. (No dropping on your foot, dog, or other small things)

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have to echo buy the largest one you can afford. You will fill it up with debris, furniture, mowers, etc. no matter the size. Longer trailers are easier to back up, short ones react very quickly when going backwards. Go to a dealer in your area, not a box store, if you decide on a new one. Make sure the ramp gate is heavy duty. The standard duty have a tendency to bend, I have replaced several for folks who thought the standard duty ramp would work. I have also repaired several of the box store versions with bent tongues. If you go for a double axle unit get brakes on it and have a controller in your vehicle.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I've got a 16' Landscape trailer(7k GVW).Fits 2 carts great,has the ramp on the back with spring-assist.I want to modify the side-rail on one side next and fit 2-quads thru the side and run one up from the rear,then I can still have room for a kids quad.It was in rough shape for a 07'(looked like a 77'!!)The front-axle was missing from an accident.I replaced the axle($140),and redecked it(had the lumber from a barn I took down)Rewired it,adjusted the brakes,and added a tool-box to the nose.Dad had some decent used tires,and I had a gallon of black enamel.Looks great,and we use it non-stop.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
Val-Con
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

If the 10 foot is not for you ,, you can use the 8 footer just back the cart on,, (always lower your windshield if applicable) plus it will place the weight (batteries) on the correct of the axel for your tonged weight elevating sway.. we have several trailers various sizes and the smaller one (8ft) is preferred by the guys when moving the carts to locations. And yes stick with TSC
Val-Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you use an open trailer don't forget your windshield and roof.
Follow manufacturer recommendations for towing
as far as leaving windshield up or lowering or removing.
I believe you should load the cart on the trailer so its facing forward,
this puts less strain on windshield and roof
and allows more room in rear for footrests and cart hitches to hang over trailer.
Also follow speed restrictions so your roof doesn't get damaged.

*EDIT*
Oops - didn't see previous post, yes weight balancing is a consideration too
so it might make more sense to load backwards in some cases
just more reason to be careful about windshield and driving speeds.
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If you load your cart on so the cart is "loaded backwards", then you MUST do something to secure your EZ-GO seat. You know….your seat is just a flip open and when your going forward the wind is no big deal. But….when the wind is coming at it at 70mph in reverse, you can now expect your seat to be a part of the flying walenda brothers traveling show. And that may include flying into someone else's windshield.

Not a good thing.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO