lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power up.... Power down

Post #5 concerns me JB

I'm going to guess a battery short can be intermittent too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Reading about reconditioning batteries with Epsom salt, should I try that johnnie/Scotty?

They are fairly new, under a year old, but could I have ruined them by going to far?
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Reading about reconditioning batteries with Epsom salt, should I try that johnnie/Scotty?

They are fairly new, under a year old, but could I have ruined them by going to far?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
you need a bigger bag of pop corn.......

BIG POPCORN.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Post #5 concerns me JB

I'm going to guess a battery short can be intermittent too.
It concerns me too. And I've been in electronics long enough to accept the fact that almost anything is possible.
I have no idea what the likelihood of an intermittent short in battery cell is, but I believe it is possible.

The pack voltage appears to be dropping to a ridiculously low value, and three things can cause that. (Maybe more, but they don't come top mind.)
1. An Amp draw of several hundred Amps.
2. Excessive resistance in the High current circuit.
3. Bad cell or cells.

I took a peek at Dela's build thread and he is using six CR-190 (8V 190AH) batteries, so the motor or something ought to be glowing red and smoking if the Amp draw was actually high enough to drop the pack down to 25.5V (1.06VPC). Of course, if the batteries were taken that low, they are probably boat anchors now, since anything below 1.5VPC (36V for a 48V pack) causes irreversible physical damage to the plates.

Excessive resistance within the battery pack itself, wouldn't cause a low voltage reading of the pack itself. The batteries are connected in series, in fact, all twenty-four 2V cells are connected in series, and the voltage measured across a series circuit is the sum of all voltage sources and drops within that circuit.

If the dash mounted DVM used to monitor the pack voltage isn't connect ed directly across the battery packs main terminals, it may be possible that excessive resistance in the high current circuit to cause a low voltage reading on the DVM. Need to know where exactly the DVM is connected.

Monitoring individual battery voltages with a handheld DVM, would be about the only way of narrowing the problem down more.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
1. Reading about reconditioning batteries with Epsom salt, should I try that johnnie/Scotty?

2. They are fairly new, under a year old, but could I have ruined them by going to far?
1. Personally, I would make absolutely sure the batteries are bad before I tried any snake oil remedies.

2. Yes, if the voltage you saw (25.5V) was truly the pack voltage, rather than an erroneously low reading caused by factors unknown at this time, the batteries have very likely been seriously damaged.

Anything below 1.5VPC (Volts per Cell), which is 36V for a 48V pack, starts sucking active material off the plates and it becomes conductive sludge in the bottom of the jug, if it doesn't lodge between the closely spaced plates and create a short before it settles to the bottom.
(FWIW: This is roughly the same thing that happens when snake oil is used)

---------
Attach a handheld DVM to each battery, one at a time, and record what the voltage drops to when the cart is misbehaving.

Also, where are the Dash mount DVM leads attached?
What controller are you using?

----------
Let's find the problem before throwing parts at it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Personally, I would make absolutely sure the batteries are bad before I tried any snake oil remedies.
there it is !!!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It concerns me too. And I've been in electronics long enough to accept the fact that almost anything is possible.
I have no idea what the likelihood of an intermittent short in battery cell is, but I believe it is possible.
"Short" or "long"? Think about it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
"Short" or "long"? Think about it.
i don't get it !!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i don't get it !!
Of course you don't get it - none of us get it - it's electrical engineer humor

Which is akin to insurance humor...... 'I got you covered' - see how i did that there ?

Seriously though for Dela - test individual batteries under cart load (as suggested). & Give us the results and we can go from there.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO