lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone tried converting to 4wd?

Since the two axles are not physically connected, i dont think it would break, but it sure would drive funny. I know alltrax can be set for no HPD, but he said he had all the parts, so i was not automatically assuming alltrax controllers were parts he had laying around. Those silverwolf setups are sweet and quite expensive. if i built one, it would have to be on-the-cheap, using gem axles or something available semi-cheap used. I cant really justify pouring a bunch of money into a all electric offroad machine, due to the major range limitation per charge. What am i gonna do out in the desert, plug into a cactus? A full tank of gas in my g2 will go a LONG way.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes an all electric 4x4 golf cart with two motors and controllers have VERY limited range. I have read that the bad Boy Buggies had only 6 miles range in 4x4 mode. Hence the used market for their front axles I believe.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

6 miles on 4x4,,,it's really short !!!!
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey sport coupe that imaginative manf. 4x4 kit does not include installation
For 3,100 , silver wolf looks very -well engineered looks easier to put on as well
Although is pricy
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know manufacturers like Polaris make electric side by sides. I love my RXV cart for cruising around. But when needed, I just hop on the Polaris 500 side by side and hit the mud. The price of converting a cart plus buying a cart will cost more than a nice side by side that is more capable, 2 speed, single wheel drive, locked dif, and full 4 wheel drive, than a cart. I think for the money you can't build a cart that can compete with a utv. Just my opinion.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
BradCouch22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
I know manufacturers like Polaris make electric side by sides. I love my RXV cart for cruising around. But when needed, I just hop on the Polaris 500 side by side and hit the mud. The price of converting a cart plus buying a cart will cost more than a nice side by side that is more capable, 2 speed, single wheel drive, locked dif, and full 4 wheel drive, than a cart. I think for the money you can't build a cart that can compete with a utv. Just my opinion.
I have a 2013 polaris ranger 500 crew... I am a wild hog outfitter and need a electric cart... The cart I have is decked out for hunting. . 500 Alltrax contoller.. Beast motor.. HD everything.. just looking to maybe go 4wd... yeah there is not comparison with a polaris and a golf cart... i have both..
BradCouch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Buy a beast 48 4x4. They just get horrible mileage since they run 2 of everything. Motors, controllers, solenoids. I have seen them and they look very capable but can be expensive to work on and maintain.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
whizzo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One of the big issues with 4wd is the frictional losses of pushing around a second drive train, and all the added weight.

The reason that electric buggies are viable at all is because of their relitivly light weight and low frictional losses.

Another reason electric buggies are viable is that the coast or at least run at very low power a lot of the time.

Increase the weight and nearly double the frictional losses..and a lot less coasing happens.

Remember most of our buggies would be flat out producing 6Hp continuous at the motor shaft and most of our battery systems would not support that power output for very long.

Look at the power output of any of the 4wd buggies like the polaris....they produce way more power and they get that power and their range by burning something.

Compare a typical golf buggy even modded within an inch of its life and it cant match the likes of a polaris

One of the ranger models for example has a 60 horse power motor and weighs arround 600Kg dry....similar in weight and size to a buggy with 10 times the power.

A golf buggy is what it is......that is why they work so well....as soon as you try to make them something they are not....they cease to be viable.

cheers
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Cgtech,I've been building 4x4 trucks most of my life,you won't believe the things I've seen break,even in normal everyday 4x4 trucks that have mis-matched gearing or tires,such as shattered front-hubs,drivelines self-destructing,etc...The axles are spinning the same speed as the tires,but the differentials are trying to spin different speeds due to gearing.It does not yield good results in any application.I had a 1/2-ton 4x4 that I bought,just had an axle installed.The first time it was bad out,i locked the hubs in,and one broke within a few miles,I noticed the truck was jerky in turning too,thinking maybe the axle-joints were frozen.I replaced the hub,broke it again,so I pulled the covers and they were 3.73-front and 3.42-rear gears.Changed the rear,and never had any issues after that.I'm just giving a heads-up from many years of experience with drivetrain-work in light and heavy duty trucks.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If I was to build a 4x4 cart,I wouldn't consider electric due to the limitations,cost and weight.A simple front-drive could be built or swapped from a 4x4 quad,along with the mating rear and trans in some applications(I would use the Polaris Explorer-style).Its' simple and fairly bullet-proof.A well-built,well balanced Big-Block cart is very capable offroad,the limiting factor is the belt getting wet.A 4x4 big-block cart with an enclosed belt-drive would be nearly unstoppable.I compare a cart to a farm-tractor,a small,underpowered machine that is very capable of impressive things.Others here will agree,as they too have friends with side-by-sides that have been impressed by what a cart can do,build a nasty-motored 4x4 cart,and you will have them chasing you!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO