lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
tcfdgib
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 turns over a long time befor it will start

I have an older G1 that has always started and ran well. After sitting this winter it is now very hard to start, engine cranks over for 1-2 minutes or longer before it just barely starts to fire and then slowly cranks up to the point where the engine runs on it's own. Once it's running it will stay running but the engine seems to lack power at times and then it revs up and the power comes back. Shut it off and same thing all over again. If I take the plug out and pour gas into cylinder it usually starts right away. New gas filter, new plugs, good spark, don't have compression tester. Any ideas?
tcfdgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 turns over a long time befor it will start

Make sure the carb is tight in the rubber boot, and make sure the rubber boot doesn't have any cracks in it. Check to make sure the air filter system is all there and closed up properly. Maybe try cleaning the carb too.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
tcfdgib
Not Yet Wild

had already taken air filter system apart afte discovering lousy starts, will double check that it's back together right and also check carb boot for tightness and cracks. Had carb off and apart and all looked clean and OK. noticed on carb that where small shaft that holds butterfly inside carb as it rotates has worn a sloppy hole in top of carb, could this be an issue? thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The worn hole is not good, but I wouldn't expect it to cause this unless it is really bad. Plus, I'm sure the slop didn't get there by sitting all winter. Does it start any better if you choke it?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It's been months after winter. Replace your gasoline with newer stock.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
willis2269
Not Yet Wild

New gas
willis2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
tcfdgib
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, just got back from the lake, where the cart is, tried lots of things, carb boot is good, no cracks, took air filter system right off, even rigged up a gravity feed, no luck at all. I will dump the gas and put fresh stuff in for my next try. Trying to full choke it actually makes it worse, found if i feather the choke it helps a bit. Anyone thinking this could be a valve issue? Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your G1 is a 2 stroke and has no valves. I second the suggestion to replace the gas and give that a try. I would also add some seafoam to the fresh fuel. Also, if you are near a marina they might have some ethanol free gas for you which would be vastly better than the commonly available 10% ethanol gas in your 2 stroke. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm having the exact same problem which didn't start until I put in a new piston ring last year. Fresh gas has not helped mine. Only difference in mine is once it starts running it stays running until it sits for a few days.
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
tcfdgib
Not Yet Wild

OK, emptied all the "old" gas out of the tank and replaced with new and added Sea Foam, just as bad maybe even worse now. Put it up on blocks and once I managed to get it going ran it for about 10 minutes to make sure all old gas out of carb etc. no better, any suggestions for next step, guess I really need to check the compression? I was thinking if I poured all the old gas on the cart and lit it with a match my problem might be gone?....just kidding.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha