lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
carguybill
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Drive clutch problem?

I recently installed a new drive belt on my 1997 Carryall II DS - FE#290 and now I'm having to speed up the engine RPM's to get the clutch to engage and when it does engage it does so with a bang. I had a similar situation in the past when in reverse but now both directions.

It feels to me like the drive clutch is not engaging smoothly. Do others agree or disagree?

If it is the clutch can they be successfully rebuilt? I hope so, because I really don't want to spend $337 for a new clutch.

CarguyBill,
Coshocton, OH
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Drive clutch problem?

You're sure it's the drive clutch? Can you replicate the issue in maintenance mode with the cart in neutral (lifting the seat and watching it).

Yes, you can get a rebuild kit for the drive clutch I believe (new buttons,etc.). They come apart pretty easily.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

You said you just change belts, Did it do this with the old belt?

The clutch slides on three plastic buttons, They need replaced ever now and again. That would make it not shift smooth.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
carguybill
Getting Wild

Club Car

I did just replace the belt and now, after using it for a while, the problem has lessened. Perhaps the new belt just needed a short break in period.\

Thanks for the responses guys. If the problem continues, or worsens, I will pull the clutch and have a look inside for gremlins or whatever.

Carguy Bill
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like the drive clutch is sticking. You can try blowing it out with compressed air. Sometimes that helps for a little while. They can be rebuilt, its not that difficult, but you need a clutch puller to get it off of the engine, and then you need a puller to remove the clutch hub to access the parts inside. Costs around $150 for all the parts to rebuild it. Only takes about an hour if you're mechanically savvy.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car