lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Capt. Ron
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 - Minimum Rotor Specs? Brake Job

Hi folks, I realize I ask a lot of questions and do not provide a lot of answers...I assure you that over time I will acquire the specific knowledge on the G29 that I can pass on to all the other new folks looking for answers.

I need to do a brake job, per previous post it sounds like I really need the Jakes front end brake kit, but that will be months to years away based on their current backlog...

so in the meantime I am going to dig into the brakes tomorrow and at least get new pads and hopefully turn the rotors. The rotors have that intermittent grabbing when braking input is applied.

O'Reily Auto Parts said they may be able to turn the rotors for me, BUT require a minimum rotor specification to do so, the rep said it would be in MM and possibly on the rotor itself. I checked the Yamaha manual and this information is not listed.

Does anyone know what that specification is?

Any input appreciated.
Capt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 - Minimum Rotor Specs? Brake Job

A G29 with disc brakes?
Are you referring to the wet brake plates on a Team transaxle?
rstacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
Capt. Ron
Not Yet Wild

I’m an idiot - I meant drums...and I just bought new pads and drums today. Hopefully this will fix my problem.

The service guy I spoke to at the local shop told me there will be a clip on each factory drum that can be removed when you upgrade wheels which might be the cause of my pulsing problem - apparently the original wheels have an offset for this? dunno but he said it would be obvious when I started pulling it all apart.

Wish I could delete this post....
Old 06-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #4
Capt. Ron
Not Yet Wild

correction: I bought brake shoes today (not pads)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ron View Post
The service guy I spoke to at the local shop told me there will be a clip on each factory drum that can be removed when you upgrade wheels which might be the cause of my pulsing problem.
I doubt it. That clip if it is even still there isn't causing the problem.
I think that drums and shoes will will solve your problem with the drums bring the likely culprit.
Make sure that your brake cables aren't hanging up and causing the shoes to drag.
rstacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
Capt. Ron
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE -

I completed the full rear wheel brake job this past weekend.

The first side took me a lot longer than the second side! Brakes seem to be in much better working order now. No more pulsing when braking pressure applied. I now also have a much less brake pedal travel, from say 4 inches to 2.

The factory clips were indeed still attached to 1 wheel stud on both rear drums....It seems I should have taken them off when I installed the new wheels, but I didn't see that or read that when I did my research for that project.

I also took the time to rotate the wheels front to back, and do another toe and camber alighnment/adjustment while I had easy access to everything.

I appreciate the input rstacy.

I feel like in another year or 2 I will have touched just about everything on this golf cart at least once.

Tags
brakes, g29, rotor, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha