lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16a Metallic Rattle at Speed

Hi all
I have a '98 Yamaha G16a. Bought from a friend of mine that stabilized the gas but didn't run it after. Couldn't start it for past two years (turned over). When I picked it up, it started and ran for about 20' and died. We pushed it to my garage and after removing and cleaning the carb and changing the now gas/oil mixture in the crankcase with a quart of Mobil 1 10-30 (boy, I bet it's clean in there!), she fired right up. I drove it around and it smoked so much, it looked like I was fogging mosquitos-thought the motor was shot, but it was gas/oil that was in the muffler, which eventually burned off. It then ran quiet, clean and smooth. I put a couple of shots of wheel bearing grease in both clutches, adjusted the governor to its' fastest setting (I wanted it to go faster, but not blow it up no matter what) and took it out. At or near top speed, I noticed a muted rhythmic metallic sound, not a clatter, that wasn't load dependent though the sound is much like "pinging". I then adjusted the valves to .004 cold (they were a little loose, not bad) and took it out again. Again, the noise appeared at top speed, though it seems to disappear going down hills at fastest RPM's (kind of ruling out engine internals). I read in one of the posts that the governor may rattle when it's adjusted for speeds that the cart wasn't originally designed for-I can live with that. The drive belt is in good shape and the clutches seems to work smoothly-could it be one of the clutches? Could it be the exhaust note at high r's?
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16a Metallic Rattle at Speed

I think its your front clutch cover sort of pinging. PlowMans can fix it just give Don a call they are a sponsor here. If you take the 3 bolts out, remove it and see if the noise is gone. Just my thought!!!!!!

LURCH!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, Lurch-I'll give it a try. If it is the clutch cover, will it break or just make noise?
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just make noise.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha