lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Weener
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 1991 club car will not start

My cart will start any number of times from 1 to ? when I get to the golf coarse and then the next time I get there it has no spark ! My coil has a small black box bolted on the top coil bolt with 6 wires coming out of it & some times I can mess with the wires & make it run ! But the last two times I could not! I am baffled & do not know what to try ! HELP weener !
Weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
McGar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1991 club car will not start

Weener, I was hoping you would get a response, because I have a similar problem. I have a 91 cart. If I fool with the wiring (bypass the rpm limiter) I can get the cart to start, but it will quit running after a few minutes. I suspect the exciter coil under the flywheel.
McGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum Weener....................

There is much more information needed.

We need more information about the black box on the coil you speak of. What is it? is it factory or something added.

If wiggling the wires helps, you will have to investigate the contents of the box. You may actually find the problem if you were to find a loose wire inside.

The problem you are speaking of, is Intermittant. An intermittant problem is the hardest to find? Why? When it is working right, there is nothing to troubleshoot.

Don't give up, we will help any we can, but you gotta give us more information such as more scenarios we can use to give you tips to check.

Photos are priceless and tell us volumes.

Thanks
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum McGar..............

We need to know, if when it quits, is it lack of gasoline or lack of spark. It will be one or the other. We need to know which one.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
McGar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great to be here Rusty.

What I lose is spark. I can pull the plug out, bypass the rpm limiter by reconnecting the plug blak wire to blk wire only, and it will spark. Put plug back in and it will start. Try to start again, and nothing! Reconnect rpm limiter and it may run again! It almost seems that the simple act of "messing with it" causes the spark to resume.

This weekend, I plan to put the old coil/spark plug wire assembly back on to see if that was the original problem.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

No other ideas at this point but, I would certainly say you are on to something. The RPM limiter could just be bad and it could be shorting out on a bolt or something.............
Old 09-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

to disconnect rpm limiter just undo ring terminal on bolt on one side of it. Mine was doing the same thing and it was the ignitor. that is bolted to the back side of the rpm limiter that is under the front of the motor.

hope that helps!

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
McGar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Worked on it all day today. Problem has been intermittant spark. Today I put old ignition coil back on. Same problem. Tried to bypass rpm limiter by only connecting black wire to coil/rpm limiter and bypassing brown wire. 91 rpm limiter doesn't have the ring terminal ground. No effect. Took a screwdriver and hit rpm limiter and the thing runs! Hit rpm limiter with screwdriver again and it quits. I seem to be able to keep it running by smacking rpm limiter when it won't run. I am thinking my problem may be the rpm limiter(duh). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 1991 DS WITH rpm limiter? I bought a $60 shop manual, but wiring diagram shows it WITHOUT rev limiter (which was apparently how it was done prior to 90). My 1991 has the rpm limiter as a small black box mounted with the top bolt that retains the CDI coil on the cowling. It has 6 wires coming out of it. Three go to the exciter coil, two go to the cdi coil, and one goes to a kill circuit in the harness coming off the starter/alternator.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that small black box on the coil is the rpm limitor.......some had them some didn,t........don,t know why but ......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
McGar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Replaced the rev limiter and we are running now!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car