lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

Default Rims, Bolt pattern, Best brands?

Hi, first time posting. For the Icon I know some people have changed to radials. I am interested but our stock rims are 12". When going to 14" is there a specific bolt patterns or are all the golf carts the same?
And follow up if going to a 14" are there rims you would recommend?
Thanks

Update: OK just figured out it is a 4x4 bolt pattern

But question still stands what aftermarket brands do you like/trust?
Modz
GTW
Red Hawk
ZayneIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

Default Re: Rims, Bolt pattern, Best brands?

most, if not all, have a 4 inch by 4 inch bolt pattern (4x4). Any tire with a lower profile sidewall will be more firm in ride. Street radials will be a smoother ride on streets/asphalt and worse than stock on others. Street radials make much less noise.

The stock tires are horrible. They get flat spots very easily and I would imagine that they, like cheap toilet paper, are low on the ply count.

While I cant specifically point a fact to it, I would think that most wheels are rebadged with the center cap just getting replaced. If you buy from a reputable source vs. ebay then I dont think it will matter much. Most after market wheels I personally see are Trex(actually see this name forged on the wheel), RHOX, MadJax, Modz.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You might look at site sponsor Golf Cart Tire Supply
https://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/.
You'll find most of the retailer's you've mentioned carry the same styles, sometimes even the same name. I'm pretty certain they are all made by the same manufacturers. The questions are price and availability.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rims, Bolt pattern, Best brands?- Inc tires

Does anyone have experience with Golf Cart King?

My next question will be about tire sizes.
I have read that some people have increased the size.
In reference to the I40L going to a 24" overall size with spacers will require some body modifications.
If I keep the diameter close to 22" then I shouldn't need body mod- correct?
I will be using spacers- 2 inch aluminium that Atrain has written about.

Please if any one has experience with:
Spacers-14" rim- street tires
Tell me what you did; did you like it would you change it

Pics and sizes and brands would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe looking to start a wheel and tire pic thread.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

if you stick to 22inch overall then you'll be fine, which is the overall size of the stock tire (not precise but close enough). If you look at the rear with stock, the tire is real close to the fender flare/wheel well. Going with a larger 24inch diameter tire would definitely require modification of sorts and I think the fronts would be fine without modification but close enough to not go larger.

I have 2 inch spacers, Modz 14 inch rims with the Modz street radials. The tire is roughly the same size of stock. There is a space difference of about (probably less) half an inch where as I think when installed the difference would be even less. I took a pic of mine installed and compared it to stock,

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showpost...3&postcount=22

With spacers installed and if you are in a wet climate (I'm in Florida where it rains for roughly 5 months out of the year) then expect mud to get flung on you, the seats, the windshield and rear view mirrors. Spacers improve the ride greatly, especially at higher speeds and the trade off is mud if you're in such a climate. It's not a ton of mud but it's enough to need to clean after each trip. Street radial tires are definitely a smoother ride on asphalt, certainly much less road noise as I stated in the earlier post. Anyone that says they get higher speeds on them could probably achieve the same speed if they overinflated the original tire. I'm still waiting for a buddy to get back to me but I think even higher ply count/lower profile all terrains would ride much better than stock (probably same road noise though). So really street radials vs. all terrain are based on your driving conditions. If you ride on sidewalk type paths that are very uneven then street radials will be a rougher ride. If you ride on gravel then street radials will be a rougher ride.

I have zero regrets with my purchase other than waiting for the right time of year to save a few bucks.

If you're getting spacers and wheels then use the stock lugs on the spacers (or any full height lug) it seems that the lugs that come with spacers are half height and open in case you have to screw something into it. I had clicking issue, someone else complained of them coming loose. Personally think it's just an issue with the half height lugs.

I got my tires from the supplier you mentioned, they shipped from Texas and the tires are already mounted and inflated. Shipped the next day after ordering. If you're only going to save a few bucks then I would go with site sponsor but really it's based on availability and cost as meimk stated.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Jeffahfah,
That was very helpful. And the pics are very helpful.
I live in South FL and use the cart as a daily driver on the road, LSV with tags.
My next question may come after I get the spacers and check out the lug situation.

Tags
bolt, icon, pattern, rims, wheels
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon