lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
77OMEGA
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrade to controller question

I have an old resistor setup on my 86 EZ-GO. My question is. If I run it at full throttle, doesn't it bypass the resistors, giving me as much amperage as the batt will give?

The rest of my question is, will I get better full throttle performance if I upgrade to a high amperage controller setup? I understand that at lower speeds the controller is much more efficient, but I don't run at slow speeds very often.

Thanks
77OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade to controller question

It is my understanding that the final resistor coil is full amperage. To convert your cart to a speed controller system would not be cost effective for an 1986 cart. I think the older pot box / resistor style carts tend to have more power than the series carts anyway, and are still very reliable...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
77OMEGA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. By pot box, I guess you are talking about a potentiometer. I have the 5 lug throttle control. Would a pot box help with performance, or smooth out acceleration?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pot box is just an easy way to say potentiometer! Make sure that your wiper contact is making good contact with the throttle control lugs. You can lightly sand them to make sure of a good contact area. Also check your wiper contact (sometimes called a pigtail) for pits or rough spots. We have also seen them incorrectly adjusted and not fully sweeping the contact board. Resistor coils can also be bad. If your cart is 'jumping', then one of the coils could be broken?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
77OMEGA
Not Yet Wild

They are all new. Board with lugs, wiper contact, and resistors. I just wanted to make sure that this setup wasn't going to slow me down. I really don't want to go to a controller unless it would give me a lot better performance.

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Carts Zone
Getting Wild

Like mike said since you can't get a upgrade motor for that cart, what you get for changing to a solid state setup is not worth the money. You can get a high speed resistor coil. Running a golf cart at slow speed or half pedal is what damages the coils and speed controllers. At slow speeds the motor is always drawing more amps and makes everything heat up. Going slow is more amps, then at top speed a series motor calls for around 80 amps
Carts Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO