lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Seawolf71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2009 precedent front end "clunk"?

my wife has reported"clunking" noises from the front end as she drives the cart around our yard.This is our first cart, and it is a 2009 although in pretty good condition.
I jacked the front end up and it appears that the mechanism where the inner tie rod ends attach has a good bit of looseness.I will call it the steering gearbox for lack of the correct terminology.
I am assuming that this "clunk" indicates that the mechanism is close to needing replacement? It also looks like the outer tie rod ends are hitting a part of the suspension at extreme travel as well.
Can someone please tell me the correct nomenclature and maybe a ballpark estimate for labor and parts to replace it?
Keeping in mind the age of the cart, what other items should I look at? Bushings, shocks,etc? The cart was only used on paved areas prior to our purchase. We live on 2.6 acres of fairly smooth grass yard and it is mainly used with a garden cart attached for yard maintenance.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Seawolf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
Seawolf71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2009 precedent front end "clunk"?

No replies?

Dang..things have changed from the days when I hung out on the AKFiles and Gunboards.

Questions there got answers..they werent guaranteed to be right..but at least they were answers..

Maybe I'm not asking the questions correctly?

Anybody want to trade golf cart knowledge for ammunition reloading, firearms repair ,or bullet casting knowledge?

This looks like an awesome place..maybe a donation would help?Again..all info much appreciated
Old 04-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Seawolf71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

my latest stupid question:

Did the front end change between 2008 and 2009 for the precedent.?

I havent downloaded the service or parts manual yet.I found a link to a parts schematic here for the 08 .they didnt list an 09.

On my cart I can clearly see both ends of the steering arms and both tie rod ends.On the 08, only the outer link is visible..the inner mechanism is covered by what looks like a CV joint boot.

thanks
Old 04-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
Seawolf71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK..I was definitely wrong..no surprise there..
2009 steering is identical to 2008.only the outer tie rod ends are visible.No excessive play in the steering.

There is a clunking noise as I said.The shocks look original.and acessible for replacement.I understand that a bushing kit is available.

Is that installable by the average mechanic with average tools?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf71 View Post
2009 steering is identical to 2008.only the outer tie rod ends are visible.No excessive play in the steering.

There is a clunking noise as I said.The shocks look original.and acessible for replacement.I understand that a bushing kit is available.

Any advice appreciated.
If the steering has no excessive play and is precise, I would suspect your issue is in your bushings or bearings. Most jobs on these carts can be performed by the "average mechanic".
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #6
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf71 View Post

Any advice appreciated.
Bushings, with the exception of the spindle arms, are absolutely able to be done by even a below-average mechanic. So are shocks, although I have not seen feedback that bad shocks clunk or make noise.

Again, the cart being as old as it is and new to you, bushings and grease should be done regardless.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #7
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

I had an '08.5 Precedent, recently "upgraded" to a 2020 Tempo, and literally nothing is different on the suspension.

I had a similar issue on my '08, clunks and squeaks, drove me nuts. If the cart is that old and is new to you, the first and easiest thing to do is grease the service joints on the spindles - I found mine would creak and clunk when they're dry. Nothing special, I use grease I get at Lowe's and do a visual once/month. Easy to do yourself.

Bushings should be next - It's difficult to see that they're bad in the leaf springs, and if you do the work to pull springs to check them, may as well replace them. I found a very light coat of grease to install them quieted them down massively. Message TahoeDawgZ71 for the bushing kit. Super easy to do yourself. One thing to consider - the spindle bushings are press-in, so if they're bad or loose, when you drive, it will feel like a wheel is "bouncing" - big bumps will produce what feels like a big bounce. It's hard to explain but when you feel it, you'll know. I ended up just buying a front end from David (TahoeDawg) that was pulled to be replaced for a lift kit and that solved my problem.

Check your end links on the steering box, the silver links that hook into spindle. If the rubber boot is torn, they can get dirt and crud in them and produce "grainy" feels in the steering. You can get replacements on amazon fairly cheap - make sure you buy left hand and right hand versions, as the steering box threads are side-specific.

I did also replace my steering box, but to be honest with you, it was not a problem. Grease it and check, do the leaf springs bushings next and check, replace end links next and check, and if it's still not corrected, reach out to David at Revolution (TahoeDawgZ71) and see if he has some spindles laying around.

Last thing - in my experience, with use, these carts loosen up quite a bit - part of my monthly maintenance is to hit everything with a torque wrench and ensure that all bolts are torqued to spec - even my Tempo is sensitive to loose bolts.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There were other changes to the Precedent model mid year 2008, but I don't think the steering & suspension changed much - if at all. The steering rack (Rack & pinion assembly) should have an accordion pleated boot over the ball & socket portion of the inner tie rod - much like the vast majority of automotive rack & pinion assemblies. If you have up/down, backward/forward movement beyond the pivot of the ball & socket it would indicate the steering rack itself is bad. Also, I've often seen the inner tie rod bent from some impact and binding/popping in its travel.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hang in there on the answers; this is Easter weekend and folks may not be checking in (and remember, this is a forum of like minded folks and not a help desk. Tons of knowledge and great people here and you will get good answers and help (for free).

I am also a relative newbie here, so wanted to post my thoughts. I have been helped immensely (I did a pretty aggressive build and could not have done so without several folks on here-which did prompt me to donate FWIW!).

Hang in there and welcome to the page!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car