lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 EZGO / PDS burned up motor and controller

I have a 2001 PDS/TXT / 36V cart with a lift, back seats, 22/11/10 tires, 400AMP Alltrax controller. The kids were riding around the other day and noticed a clicking sound from under the cart. They were headed down a hill and said it felt like the motor was catching and trying to stop. They pulled over and smelled the electrical burning and found that the motor was to hot to touch and was also hot near the controller. At this point they called me (Dad) to drive up and check out. I could not get the cart to move after switching to tow mode. The back wheels were locked. Finally got it on the trailer and back home. Opened up the controller cover and found the Alltrax burned beyond repair. The wires were all okay. I disconnected the wiring and then removed the motor to free up the wheels, to be able to get it in the garage. All Trojan battery posts were nice and tight, no melting on the posts.

Now for my questions.....

What would cause this?

What motor/controller combo should I go back with?
(I live in GA and have decent hills, with at 3 kids riding)

What should I check before installing new parts to keep it from burning them to?

What kind of money are we talking about?
BCR840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO / PDS burned up motor and controller

The Alltrax or any aftermarket controller should not be put underneath a cover. These aftermarket controllers are potted in resin which protects the components from vibration, dirt, and moisture. This also makes them harder to cool, so they get no cover. On a PDS cart you want to cut the cover off just under the 'Run/Tow' switch and chuck the bottom section away, install just the top part to house the switch or remove it all together and get creative about mounting the switch. I suggest pkg #808 from my website with a 400a Alltrax and 200/800a HD solenoid kit and a nice D&D motor for hill climbing power.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought this cart used and it came with the cover on it. I will make that adjustment. Do you think that led to locking up the motor?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
rib33024

truly, from the story you told, I think the reason the motor locked up is because of the 3 kids flying down the hill with the pedal to the floor, and over revved the motor, the motor can only take so many RPM's,before it fry's,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hmmmm. So how would you keep that from happening. I assume you would just let off the gas every so often. Not sure which motor to lean towards that would better suite the use and environment. It was the original stock motor. Had a lot of years on it.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yeah not over revving is a driver's responsibility. A Hard one to teach but the carts can't run WOT for long. You don't do it to your truck or your horse

There are some vented motors out there.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

these elec motor can only take about 3700 rpms or so. I have seen several blow due to over reving. since its lifted with bigger tires it caused it to rev higher.

best thing to do is let cart coast and gently apply brakes every now and then.

since you are pds the motor has regenerative braking where it provides power back to the batteries. overreving the motor casued excessive power thru controller so it went boom.

also when you upgrade, make sure you have atleast 4ga wires if not 2 ga. that will help in the hill climbing.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
BCR840
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. Thanks guys. I will do some studying on motors. Meanwhile the kids can enjoy it while it sits in the garage. may be a while before I shell out $900-$1200.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO