lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default a "CLUNK" in the back

Well this WAS driving me crazy.....but finally figured it out, and wanted to share in the event anyone else hears this or has the issue it may save them some time.

a little background, the wife and I took a long road trip the first part of August, we had our 16 and 17 yr. old grandsons watching our house and feeding our dogs while we were gone. Both knew they were allowed to use the cart and how to always plug it back in, no problems.

After we got back, probably about a week later, I took the cart out, backed out of the garage, and when I got to the street and turned and straightened up and started to go forward, there was a loud CLUNK. I stopped immediately and looked under the cart. couldn't see anything out of place, even looked in the bag well in the event something got put in there that was shifting....NOTHING. That trip out, never did it again.

Next trip out, as I was going around a corner it did it again...grrrrrrr. stopped on the side of the road and got ahold of the top support and the back seat armrest and rocked the cart back and forth and it did it! CLUNK CLUNK!! what the h*ll was that!! I couldn't see anything out of place....and the clink wasn't coming from the rear-end as the cart wasn't moving! NOW I'M baffled!

SOMETHING had to be shifting around.....da*n sure wasn't the batteries, I checked that.....so what the heck was this noise!!!

One evening I was sitting on the couch, most likely reading the forum, and it came to me....."what in earth could be moving/shifting?" ..... I went out to the garage, flipped on the light, got my flashlight, got on the floor and starting looking under the cart. looking at all of the hardware that connects everything together.....and there it was.....staring me right is the face!! the rubber bushings in the rear leaf springs (which I didn't replace or think about, when I did my "complete" body off restoration) were finally GONE! and I mean GONE.....which, when going around a corner or any lateral movement, the entire rear-end could/did shift back and forth about an inch and made a loud CLUNK!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED......bought a complete set of bushings (a total of 6 sets since my cart is lifted) and replaced all of the bushings and the sleeves.

bushings.jpg

SO.....IF you hearing a CLUNKING in your rear-end even when the cart isn't moving and you are rocking your cart.....check out your leaf spring bushings.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: a "CLUNK" in the back

Its really great to find something that is driving you nuts!! But, not sure how you missed those during inspection. Alas, all is well again-for now....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I have a similar situation on 1 of mine.. When a cart sits a long while the rubber drys out. Does not look to be bad when we drag them in the shop and go over them so we leave it. Some time goes by and the dried out rubber cracks and starts falling out. Then we find it. At least it is not to expensive to replace.
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Its really great to find something that is driving you nuts!! But, not sure how you missed those during inspection. Alas, all is well again-for now....
EASY.....remember, this is my first cart...and did a TOTAL rebuild after only having it a total of ONE WEEK. and that was 2 1/2 years ago....I am sure they were fine them....well at least they didn't CLUNK! lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO