lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #21
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Electrolyte Level

[QUOTE=Tom47;1460096]Thanks, ThreeCW. Are Speed Caps available for Crown or Trojan batteries aftermarket? I never looked into it.

I bought a set of these"
https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/battery-speed-vent-caps.html" they fit my Crown CR190's. I haven't had a problem with them leaking. There is a link under the price list that gives you the dimensions so you can check to see if they will fit.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I found that when I tried to follow the US Battery recommendation, I had excessive acid pooling on the tops of some of my batteries after changing. My US batteries are 6 volt and equipped with Speed Caps (see attached image).

I now keep the electrolyte level about 1/4" ABOVE the plates (or best that I can estimate). There is now considerably less acid pooling after charging, but I find that I have to keep a closer eye on the electrolyte levels now with less fluid above the plates
same here. plus acid puddled on my concrete floor
i bought new t875s this spring and keep the level 1/4" over the plates
keeps the batteries and cable ends a lot cleaner too
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #23
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post

I look forward to the day that "I quit doing Acid" and replace my batteries with a Lithium pack!
+1
Hoping to get enough seasons out of my
L6s
then the Lithium conversions are
“The norm”
&
Less $$$
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #24
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
$18 ea I think. $432 for a 6x8v pack. And, they have a service life: ~5 years

Don'k know anyone who has them. Never seen them on any batteries.
OMG! With a service life of 5 years, it would be almost as cheap as buying a new battery pack!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #25
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZHO View Post
Overfilling also dilutes the electrolyte concentration . (perfomance)

1/4 below fill well you can use a rubber strip marked/taped off at 1/4 and insert to to bottom of fill well / helps trying to judge it by eye
Sounds like the perfect fill. Thanks EZHO!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #26
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

[quote=whit71;1460161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Thanks, ThreeCW. Are Speed Caps available for Crown or Trojan batteries aftermarket? I never looked into it.

I bought a set of these"
https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/battery-speed-vent-caps.html" they fit my Crown CR190's. I haven't had a problem with them leaking. There is a link under the price list that gives you the dimensions so you can check to see if they will fit.
Thanks, whit71. $60.00 for the set; maybe something I'll try.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #27
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit71 View Post
I bought a set of these "https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/battery-speed-vent-caps.html" they fit my Crown CR190's. I haven't had a problem with them leaking. There is a link under the price list that gives you the dimensions so you can check to see if they will fit.
whit71 - Did you have a problem with leaking caps before your installed these Flow Systems Speed Vents? Or did you just replace your single bayonet caps with the Speed Vents for faster access?

While looking at the Flow Systems website that whit71 suggested, I had a look at their Water Miser Battery Vent Caps (see: https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/solar...vent-caps.html). They are designed to "extend the time in between watering while helping to maintain the relative specific gravity within battery cells." Other key advantages quoted on their website that really interests me include "Reduce watering intervals by 50%-60% depending on usage scenario, Fewer acid laden gasses prevent moisture buildup on & around batteries, Reduced fumes from acid based electrolyte emissions, Reduced Overall Maintenance" and "Batteries Last Longer - Electrolyte gravities are better stabilized and now more consistent."

I have attached some product information from their website below for reference.

Does anyone have any experience using the Water Miser Battery Vents on any lead acid battery applications?

How about any of the businesses that run a large number of carts ... has anyone tried these?

If these work as advertised, these caps certainly could be a great solution to a good many problems us golf cart guys experience on a regular basis !!

PS - I also had a look on YouTube and there seems to be some positive reviews of this product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Miser Battery-Vent-Cap-Cut-Away.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif Water Miser solar-battery-storage-system-anima.gif (98.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flow Systems PROD2000.pdf (1.68 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #28
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=ThreeCW;1460387]whit71 - Did you have a problem with leaking caps before your installed these Flow Systems Speed Vents? Or did you just replace your single bayonet caps with the Speed Vents for faster access?

No, mine were not leaking. I did it to simply make it a little easier when checking water level. I know me, the easier I make it on myself the better chance I will check the water monthly.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #29
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

A followup:

I filled the batteries to approximately 1/4" below the well bottoms yesterday after charging. Three of the cells slightly overfilled accidentally and touched the bottom of the wells, and I made a note of which ones were too high, but did not remove any electrolyte.

After filling them, I took a 5 mile ride. When I returned, I washed the battery tops, blow dried them and wiped them good to remove any trace of moisture.

I hooked up the DPI charger afterward, then checked this morning. There was not a drop of any fluid on the battery tops, including around the 3 overfilled cells. I'll keep checking this daily after charging and will post my findings if I start seeing cap leakage.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #30
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
A followup:

I filled the batteries to approximately 1/4" below the well bottoms yesterday after charging. Three of the cells slightly overfilled accidentally and touched the bottom of the wells, and I made a note of which ones were too high, but did not remove any electrolyte.

After filling them, I took a 5 mile ride. When I returned, I washed the battery tops, blow dried them and wiped them good to remove any trace of moisture.

I hooked up the DPI charger afterward, then checked this morning. There was not a drop of any fluid on the battery tops, including around the 3 overfilled cells. I'll keep checking this daily after charging and will post my findings if I start seeing cap leakage.
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car