lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
Jshigginbotham
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha 2017 DR2 - Controller Troubleshooting

I am looking for a testing procedure or help with diagnosing before throwing parts at an unknown problem.

I have a Yamaha 2017 DR2E17 cart with what I thought was a solenoid issue. While driving the cart would make a clicking noise and then stop driving. If you reset the tow switch, the solenoid would reset and then it would start working again. Initially this would only happen periodically and then progressed until it would only run 30 seconds at a time and trip to not move 5 feet. I assumed that the solenoid was going weak and dropping out since the "reset" fixed it initially. I replaced the solenoid and still the same problem.

I am now wondering if it is a controller issue but looking for some type of test procedure before I throw more parts at it. Some additional things I have observed as I try to become a golf cart mechanic!

- On the power side of the solenoid (large lugs), there is a jumper wire that jumps power across the two large terminals that goes to what appears to be a temperature switch. Is this correct? I have 48V across these terminals at all times (other than when the tow switch is disconnected).
- I checked for continuity across all 4 posts on the motor to the case and from F1/2 to A1/2 and no continuity so I don't have a motor issue I 'believe.

I am mechanically inclined on combustion engines but electrical is my kryptonite! Just looking for some help before throwing more parts at the problem.
Jshigginbotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha 2017 DR2 - Controller Troubleshooting

Have you checked out your batteries? Check the voltage after charging and then under load. If the voltage is dropping, it will do what you are seeing.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
Jshigginbotham
Not Yet Wild

Batteries have been replaced and are holding voltage. Charged the machine and they were at 46V. While trying to diagnose it stayed in that range across solenoid. There was some drop across solenoid to about 42V.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

46 volts is dead! It should be over 50V when fully charged!!! Measure each battery at rest and under load. You probably have a failed battery.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:06 AM   #5
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

You can also go a step further and remove the caps on your water cells.. then dip the positive lead into the water/acid mixture just enough to get a reading with the negative in the next cell in the series.. every cell should be 2.xx v (absolute min of 1.75 when depleted I believe) ... If they all read higher but one then you have a bad cell and a bad battery... If they all read around the same but wont hold a proper charge the battery is old and sulfated. you said they have been replaced.. so I assume these are NEW batteries?

If the voltages of each battery by themselves look good I would start by cleaning all your battery terminal and cable connections. thats gotten me more than once.

your charger may be bad as well so might want to check the charging voltage at the battery terminals.

As volt stated a 48v pack should read 50-52v when charged. And you should see voltages closer to 60v while charging.

Edited ** its been a while since I tested lead acid cells.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I just helped a buddy with a cart that had four 12V batteries. One had failed with very high impedance - all others were good. On the charger, it read over 60 V. But without the charger, it read about 40V. Under load, the bad battery kept any significant current from flowing.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
Jshigginbotham
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I think I am narrowing in on a battery issue. The golf cart is my mother-in-laws and I am just the holiday mechanic on it! After asking her, there has only been one battery replaced at one time not all of them.

Upon further investigation yesterday, all 6 batteries were bone dry on water. I added 4 gallons of distilled water to all the batteries () and let it charge overnight.

When I checked it this morning, all batteries were reading right at 8.0 volts each except one which was 8.6V. The total for system was 48.0V.

I drove the golf cart for about 5 minutes on flat driveway and it seemed to be fine but then I drove through grass and up a hill and the cart had no power and then tripped the breaker. If I used the tow switch to disconnect system I could get it to reset to drive back to shop.

So at this point, I know it is a battery issue. Given that these batteries were run dry, is there any additional test to determine the bad battery/cell that what was outlined by augiedoggy to determine which or how many batteries are dead without taking somewhere to have them load tested?
Old 12-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you have a volt meter with a couple of alligator clips you can attach them to each battery then drive it to see which ones drop out. Or you can buy load tester at harbor freight for like $20
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

After charging, 8.0 Volts is very bad. They should all be like the one that's 8.6V.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Run them through a few charge cycles and that might help but you probably have at least a few bad batteries.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha