lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
farleypug
Getting Wild

Default EZ Go flooding out

Hey there everyone. I'm new to the forum and could not find any other threads related to this so I apologize if it's been covered before. I just bought a 1987 2 cycle and it's flooding out bad. The motor and carb have been rebuilt. The fuel pump is pumping perfectly but it's flooding the carb out to the point where it will barely move. It appears to have new jets, floats, needle and seat. I adjusted the level of the floats a million times. I have it to the point where the floats barely open and it runs great for a little bit and then I have to choke it for a split second because it starves for fuel. Is there a rubber seat that needs to be between the needle and the valve, or does the needle just seat on the brass off the valve. I'm wondering if the previous owner forget to but in the rubber seat if there is one. Does anyone know if a new carb rebuild kit has the rubber seat or not? I have seen kits for other small engines that don't have the rubber seat, and some do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
farleypug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: EZ Go flooding out

Is it flooding and leaking gas out the overflow or is it running to rich?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
farleypug
Getting Wild

It's acting like it's flooding out. There is no gas coming out of the overflow though. When I go to start out, it shoots out smoke like crazy and the motor doesn't have enough rpms to go. But after about 10-20 seconds of the generator running, you can hear the access fuel burning out and eventually the rpms climb and it takes off. Compression is great on the motor also. The floats right now are adjusted so tight that the needle valve is maybe opening a 1/4 of the way. So it starts moving sooner/rpms climb, but after running about 25 feet, the motor starts starving out on fuel and begins slowing down. After the pump fills the bowl back up, it runs great for another 20 feet or so and starts to starve for fuel again. If I open the floats up just a little more, it takes forever for the excess fuel to burn out and get the cart moving. But once it does, it runs great full throttle and doesn't stall out because lack of fuel. But as soon as I let off the throttle and stop, it loads the carb back up and takes forever to get the cart moving again. In my past experience on floats, they have never been this touchy. I'm just wondering if something is missing from this carb after the previous owner rebuilt it. Plus, when I adjust the mixture screw, it does nothing to help performance. If I adjust the floats so they open correctly and disconnect the fuel line to the pump, it runs great with no hesitation for about 30 seconds until it runs out of fuel. It's almost acting like the pump is pushing fuel so hard that it gets by the needle valve even when the float bowl is full. Could the generator switch on the accellerator pedal have an impact on this? The switch went bad so there is a toggle switch wired in its place. So when I want to go, I hit the toggle and press the accellerator at the same time. I didn't think this would be part of the problem. Do you think I should buy a carb rebuild kit even though everything in the carb looks like it has been replaced/new? Thanks again for taking to time to read this.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Sounds like my 89 did when the fuel pump diaphragm was leaking. It took forever to start and was flooding severely. I replaced the fuel pump with a new one and instantly fixed my problem. You can search for fuel pump trobleshooting here and find out how to check your fuel pump. I know you said it is working and all but so was mine.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
farleypug
Getting Wild

Do you think the pressure from the fuel pump could be too much for the carb to handle?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

If the pump diaphragm is leaking it will send gas into the crankcase. this pretty much floods out a 2 stroke engine.
If it were a needle/seat problem I would think you would see gas coming out the overflow/carb
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
farleypug
Getting Wild

It could possibly be a leaking fuel pump diaphram, I never really thought about that. I will replace that and see if it helps. Thanks for the help and ideas everyone, I will post what the problem is when I find it.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I think you will find that there is not a whole lot of price difference in the diaphragm and a whole new pump. I personally would just buy a new pump. Pretty cheap fix..... mine ran aprox $36.00 from golfcartcatalog.com. I think that somewhere in this forum someone posted the proceedure for checking a fuel pump for leaks and if I recall you may not "see" a leak in the diaph. but if any fuel is leaking into the crankcase it will run poorly if not at all due to flooding. If you look up info on 2 stroke operation, then you will have a better understanding as to why this is the case. Good luck!! keep us posted
Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
farleypug
Getting Wild

Low and behold, the lower diaphram was torn about half way around. I ordered a new pump, but in the mean time I actually duck taped the torn section allowing the diaphram to still move up and down. It worked like a charm and this thing runs like new. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Andy
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I would go back and reset the float to factory spec. If you haven't already. I think it should be level when viewed from the side. Glad you got it fixed!! Good Luck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO